The Basic Rules
In short, you can be fined for keeping a book when another user has recalled it, or when you keep a Short Term Loan item too long. We'll also charge you the replacement cost of a book or other item if you never return it.
- If another user has recalled a book you have checked out, you will receive an email notification requesting you to return the book. You have until 14 days from the original loan date or 5 days from the date of recall, whichever is longer, in which to return the book, after which a fine of up to $4 a day or partial day is levied.
- If you have a library fine, you have some options:
- Instead of money, you can "pay" the fine by donating non-perishable food items. See Food for Fines, below.
- Fines can be paid at the Mills Library Services Desk. We accept debit/credit cards (no cash payments).
- If you don't return an overdue item we suspend your borrowing privileges and charge the replacement cost of the book.
- Overdue books marked LOST will incur a default $125 replacement charge in addition to any overdue fines.
- Overdue equipment marked LOST will incur a replacement charge for the value of the item, in addition to any overdue fines.
- It is your responsibility to keep the University/Library informed of your current address and email address (students should use Mosaic to update this information). Non-receipt of notices does not relieve you from suspension of borrowing privileges and book replacement charges.