Use the Course Reserve Request form when you would like new or additional material to be placed on reserve.
The University's Fair Dealing Policy governs most photocopied material placed on reserve. For information on photocopying restrictions, please contact Library Services.
Reserve requests are processed as soon as possible. However, at busy times of the year, processing can take additional time due to the volume of requests. Please ensure that reserve requests are submitted well in advance.
Since it takes several weeks to order and acquire new books, lists must be received well in advance of the start of a course. A partial list can be sent first and additions sent later. When photocopies are being requested, a copy of the course syllabus must be submitted along with the reserve lists. The inclusion of complete references will speed up the processing of lists.
The course reserves listed on the Library website can include books, print articles where no electronic version is available, videos, or any other material that the instructor wishes to make available to his or her students for which copyright permission has been obtained.
If non-library material is to be placed on reserve, it should be in a form which facilitates processing:
- if supplying a photocopy, the full source should be given on the first page (e.g. author, title, journal title, publisher, date). You may be asked to supply copyright permission, depending on the article.
- if material is needed immediately, the required number of copies should be supplied.
The library will only place print copies on reserve where no stable electronic equivalent exists.
- 2-Hour Loan - Loan period is 2 hours. May be borrowed overnight. Use if whole class must read and for all larger courses.
- 24-Hour - Loan period is 24 hours. Use for small classes or for materials which do not have to be read by a number of students within a short period of time.
- 7-Day Loan - Loan Period is 7 days.
Number of Copies
The library may adjust, on the basis of use and class size, the number of copies on reserve.
- all materials will be removed from reserve at the end of each course and will be returned to the stacks or to the instructor
- the library may adjust the loan status of titles from 2-Hour reserve to 24-Hour reserve or vice-versa depending on use.