What We Do
Media specialists at Lyons will do their best to help get you started on your project, help you learn a new tool or media software, or help find the answers to your media creation problems.
This isn’t a media creation service, to be clear. The media specialists can teach you how to use media creation tools, specifically software (such as audio, video or photo editing programs) and technology (such as cameras) that Lyons New Media Centre currently offers all McMaster students, staff and faculty. The assistance given may range from pointing you toward specific online resources to one-on-one sessions with a Lyons media specialist.
The scope of this service includes a wide range of media-related topics including:
- print design (creating posters, signs, book covers, bookmarks, etc.; things that you can print in the end)
- digital design (creating digital graphics for social media, websites, and more)
- audio creation & editing (podcasting, audio overlays for presentations/video, etc.)
- video creation (pre-production such as storyboarding & preparing a "shot list", schedule, etc.; production or recording the video, lighting, etc.; and post-production or video editing & rendering)
- digital art (how to use a Wacom art tablet)
Tasks/topics outside the scope of this service includes, but are not limited to:
- Creating media for you (including designing posters, filming classes, editing video/audio, cleaning up photos, etc).
- Media Production Services or the MSU Underground should be consulted for design work, website creation, printing, etc.
- Faculty can speak with Campus Classroom Technologies and/or the MacPherson Institute for assistance with capturing lectures, creating media content for courses, etc.
- Students should be aware that in many cases, getting someone else to create media may amount to academic dishonesty, depending upon the requirements of the assignment needing the finished media product
- Assisting with software or technology which Lyons does not have (unless one of the specialists has some personal experience with that)
To contact us for help, fill out the Media Help webform. We generally try to respond within 1-2 business days, but if you don't hear from us beyond that, please feel free to follow up with an email to email@example.com.