St. John's Anglican Church

Burlington, Ont.
Fonds - Brief Description: 

St. John's Anglican Church (Burlington, Ont.) fonds. -- 1833-1985. -- 24 cm of textual records.

The part of Burlington where St. John's is located used to be known as Nelson, Ont. The first Anglican service was held in Nelson on 15 November 1835 in a schoolhouse. Construction began on a church in 1839. The building was ready for services that same year but not fully completed and dedicated until 1842. For many years St. John's was part of a two or three point parish. In 1983 a full-time rector was appointed. For a more complete history see The First 150 Years, a History of St. John's Anglican Church, Burlington, Ontario.

The fonds consists of parish registers containing Vestry minutes, services, Women's Auxiliary minutes, and financial statements as well as indentures, royal prerogatives, correspondence, and transfer of property documents. Most of the fonds has been microfilmed on 1 reel, numbered 314. Statistical records can be found with the St. Luke's (Burlington, Ont.) fonds. Some of St. John's confirmation records can be found in the St. Luke's Church (Palmero, Ont.) fonds. Other statistical records for St. John's can be found in the Grace Church (Waterdown, Ont.) fonds and St. Christopher's Church (Burlington, Ont.) fonds.

Title based on content of fonds.
Fonds on deposit. Ownership of fonds resides with St. John's.
Finding aid available in hard copy and electronically.
Researchers are requested to use the microfilms. They must also sign an agreement of use form.
Further accruals are expected.

Finding Aid: 

Historical Notes

The first Anglican service was held in Nelson, originally known as Hannahsville, on November 15, 1835 in an old schoolhouse on the north-east corner of the Guelph Line and Dundas Street. A meeting was held on November 9, 1838 to discuss the building of a church. Three quarters of an acre of land was purchased from Thomas Atkinson as a site for a church and cemetery. In the Spring of 1839 the contract for the construction of the church was let to John Malcolmson of Hamilton, William Grant and Alexander Brown for the sum of 378 pounds. The building was sufficiently ready for services that same year but was not fully completed and dedicated until 1842.

Over the years, and in fact until 1983, St. John's was part of two or three point parish, being served by a rector from one of the neighbouring parishes. The associations varied including St. Luke's, Wellington Square, Waterdown, Lowville and Nassagaweya, Palermo and Omagh, and lastly St. Christopher's, Burlington.

During the late 1970s it became increasingly evident that, with Burlington advancing northward, St. John's would need and could support a full-time rector and survive as an independent parish. Subsequently, on August 1, 1983 the Reverend David Hamid, Assistant Curate at St. Christopher's, was appointed rector, the first full-time priest for St. John's, now known as St. John's, Burlington.

Researchers are referred to: The First 150 Years, a History of St. John's Anglican Church, Burlington, Ontario by Dr. Robert Duke, June 1986. Catalogued for Research Collections as BX 5617.B8S34.

I - List of Parish Registers:

Parish Register A Minutes of the Vestry
Apr. 12, 1898-Jan. 29, 1952
Parish Register B Minutes of the Vestry
Jan. 29, 1952-Jan. 20, 1985
Also Reminiscences of
St. John's by Robert Spence
and synopsis of Church History
since 1903.
Parish Register C Service Register
Dec. 3, 1916-Jan. 27, 1952
List of Church Families,
1917-1919, 1922
July 1, 1917 (Section II),
Sept. 10, 1922 (Section V)
Parish Register D Service Register
Feb. 3, 1952-Nov. 28, 1985
Parish Register E Minutes of the Women's Auxiliary
Apr. 14, 1924-June 26, 1930
Parish Register F Collections, Envelope Records
and Financial Statements
Apr. 1902-Dec. 1928
Parish Register G

Envelope #1

Collections, Envelope Records
and Financial Statements
Jan. 1929-Jan. 1965
(see following page)

II - Altar Book

*The Communion and Other Services According to the Use of the United Church of England and Ireland, Presented by the late Bishop of Quebec's Upper Canadian Travelling Mission Fund to the Dundas Street Church, Upper Canada, 1841.
*(Printed volume, not microfilmed)
*For Baptisms, Marriages and Burials conducted in St. John's Nelson, see the records of St. Luke, Burlington.

III - Indentures, Royal Prerogatives, Correspondence

Envelope #2    
1. Wellington Square, Township of Nelson, District of Gore Lot 6, Concession 2 and Lot 10, Concession 4, Township of Flamborough East, 400 acres more/less.
January 18, 1836 - Royal Prerogative.
(see reverse side of deed indicating it should read Lot 2, Concession 2)
2. Township of Thorold, District of Niagara.
Lots 98, 99, 100 and 121, Township of Thorold, 400 acres more/less.
January 22, 1836 - Royal Prerogative.
3. Township of Nelson, County of Halton. George Patterson to the Incorporated Synod of the Diocese of Toronto. Part of the East Half, Lot 12, Concession 3, Township of Nelson. For the use of St. George's Episcopal Church,Township of Nelson.
March 18, 1872.
4. Township of Puslinch, District of Wellington, Province of Canada. Thomas Arkell/Isabell Arkell to John, Lord Bishop of Toronto. South East parts of Lots 4 and 5, Concession 9, Puslinch Township.
September 8, 1846.
5. Township of West Flamborough, County o Wentworth, Province of Canada. James Kerby/Susan Kerby to the Hon. and Rt. Rev. John Strachan, Bishop of Toronto.
Part of Lot 9, Concession 2, Township of West Flamborough.
September 22, 1864.
6. Township of Garafraxa, County of Wellington, Province of Ontario. Robert Donaldson/Mary Ann Donaldson to the Incorporated Synod of the Diocese of Toronto.
Part of the west half of Lot 5, Concession 15, Township of, West Garafraxa.
June 15, 1871.
7. Township of Woolwich, District of Wellington.
William Reynolds to John, Lord Bishop of Toronto.
Part, Lot 1, Concession 1, Township of Woolwich.
March 26, 1842.
8. Consent of Transfer to the Diocese of Niagara.
From the Bishop and Synod of the Diocese of Toronto to
the Synod of the Diocese of Niagara.
1/8th part of one acre, part of Lot 21, Concession 7,
West Garafraxa.
March 23, 1877.
Correspondence attached, March 22, 1877.

IV - Indentures, Transfer of Property, Bound of Parish, Release

9. Township of East Flamboro, County of Wentworth, Province of Canada. Andrews Patten/Sarah Ann Patten to Thomas Allison, Thomas Anderson, William Davis, William Vannorman and John Stewart for the site of a Chapel or Meeting House and Burying Ground for the use of the Members of the Canadian Wesleyan Methodist new Connexion.
Lot 7, Concession 8, Township of East Flamboro.
November 5, 1858.
This property was advertised for sale in The Canadian Champion, Milton, on October 13, 20, 27 and November 7, 1870, sold by auction.
This property was purchased by the Incorporated Synod of the Diocese of Toronto. ($350.00)
Court of Chancery ordering the conveyance of this property to the Incorporated Synod of the Diocese of Toronto, January 20, 1871.
Indenture: Conveying the said property to the Incorporated Synod of the Diocese of Toronto
(2 copies), January 28, 1871.
10. Bounds of the Parish or Mission of Grantham.
Alexander Neil, Bishop of Toronto/James Durham,James Servos and others/the Reverend Henry Holland, Rector of St. Catharines.
All the portion of the Parish of St. Catharines that lies within the Township of Grantham east of the line between Lots 14 and 15 in the said township and the remaining portion of the Township of Grantham not enclosed in any existing parish.
December 5, 1871.
11. Release of part of Mortgaged Premises.
Memorial of Release of Mortgaged Premises.
John Cooke to The Church Society of the Diocese of Toronto.
S.E. Corner of second division of Lot 14, Township of Arthur, County of Wellington, West side of Owen Sound Road, Province of Canada.
Trinity Church, North Arthur.
Correspondence signed by Stewart Houston, Mount Forest
April 29, 1865.
12. Indenture and Memorial of Indenture: Bargain and Sale.
John and Elizabeth Pillers to John Crysler for 200 pounds.
East and West halves of Lot 14, Concession 8, Township of Amaranth (200 acres).
February 4, 1833.
Note: The Hon. J.A. Boulton conveyed this land to the Bishop December 2, 1844.
13. Township of Esquesing, County of Halton,
Province of Canada George Kennedy to the Lord Bishop of Toronto.
Part of the West half, Lot 18, Concession 9.
Correspondence: F.A. O'Meara/I.S. McMurry, May 1, 1865
re: Deed.

V - Indenture and Agreement



Township of Erin, County of Wellington,
Province of Canada. Easterly half of Lot 3,
Concession 10, Township of Erin.
Indenture dated March 14, 1859.
Signed by: John and Agnes Frank
John Smith
Joseph Unsworth
James Barber
Joseph Barber
J.G.D. McKenzie


VI - Story behind this lengthy indenture

John Frank owed John Smith 550 pounds, but had no ready cash. John Smith wanted the matter settled, and in turn wanted to contribute an equal sum of 275 pounds to the Congregational Church and to the Incumbent of St. George's Church, Georgetown. Although he had no money, John Frank owned a hundred acres of land (above described). John Frank made and executed a mortgage in the amount of 272 pounds to each church in payment of the debt he owned to John Smith.
This lengthy document outlines the agreement among the parties.


Ask Chat is Offline - Send an Email