St. John's Anglican Church

Virgil, Ont.
Fonds - Brief Description: 

St. John's Anglican Church (Virgil, Ont.) fonds. -- 1893-1954. -- 4 cm of textual records.

Occasional services were held in the area prior to 1889 by the missionary in charge. Sometime after that date and before 1893, a brick church was built. St. John's Anglican Church closed in 1954. There is a brief history in Register A of this fonds.

The fonds consists of parish registers containing statistical records and services. The fonds has been microfilmed on 1 reel, numbered 324.

Researchers are directed to the following fonds for earlier statistical records: St. George's Church (Homer, Ont.); Christ Church (McNab, Ont.); St. George's Church (St. Catharines, Ont.).

Title based on content of fonds.
Fonds on deposit. Ownership of the fonds resides with St. John's Church.
Finding aid available in hard copy and electronically.
Researchers are requested to use the microfilms. They must also sign an agreement of use form.
Further accruals are not expected.

Finding Aid: 
Note: Accession 15-1997, Received February 1997.


Historical Notes

This church was closed in August 1954. It had been one of a three point parish with St. George's, Homer and Christ Church, McNab (also called Christ Church, Grantham).

Some early entries of Baptisms, Confirmations, Marriages and Burials were made in the registers of Homer and McNab and some may also be found in the records of St. Mark's, Niagara-on-the-Lake and St. George's, St. Catharines.



I - List of Parish Registers

a) Statistical

Parish Register A

(See also notes on Parish History at the back of the register.)

Baptisms 1895- 1952
Confirmations 1903-1952
Marriages 1893-2949
Burials (Sept. 1894)

b) General

Parish Register B Services, Easter 1901-1953 324

II - Index of Statistical Records

a) Baptisms

2 June 1895-25 May 1952 Parish Register A 324

b) Confirmations

4 Oct. 1903-18 June 1952 Parish Register A 324

c) Marriages

12 June 1893-23 July 1949 Parish Register A 324

d) Burials

(Sept. 1894),    
8 May 1904-9 Dec. 1954 Parish Register A 324

Ask Chat is Offline - Send an Email