Grace Anglican Church

City: 
Waterdown, Ont.
Full Location: 

Grace
159 Mill Street North
Waterdown, Ontario L0R 2H0

Contact:
Grace
Box 727
Waterdown, Ontario L0R 2H0
Phone: 905.689.6715

Archives Predating 1869: 
Baptisms 1858, Marriages 1859, Burials 1858
Fonds - Brief Description: 

Grace Anglican Church (Waterdown, Ont.) fonds. -- 1858-2006. -- 28 cm of textual records.

In 1850 Rev. A.P. Morris began conducting services in the township hall at Waterdown. In 1860 a small building was erected but because of the growing congregation it had to be enlarged five years later. Other renovations followed. For a more complete history see Grace Church ... One Hundred Years of Growth.

The fonds consists of parish registers containing statistical records, services, Vestry and Men's Club minutes and other documents. Most of the fonds has been microfilmed. The fonds also contains some statistical records for St. John's Church (Burlington, Ont.). Researchers should also consult the St. Christopher's Church (Burlington, Ont.) fonds.

Title based on content of fonds.
Fonds on deposit. Ownership of the fonds resides with Grace Church.
Finding aid available in hard copy and electronically.
Researchers are requested to use the microfilms. They must also sign an agreement of use form.
Further accruals are expected.

Finding Aid: 
Includes Part Of St. John's, Nelson. (S/W #576)

 

Historical Notes

In 1847 Frederich Feilde and Elizabeth Gildart Feilde issued a deed of approximately two acres of land on the north side of the village of Waterdown, to be used for the purpose of a church site, rectory, and cemetery. Evidently at that time occasional services were held, but it wasn't until 1850 that the Rev. A.P. Morris, Headmaster of the Grammar School, Hamilton, began conducting services in the Township Hall. These intermittent services continued for ten years when the Reverend G.N. Higginson was appointed first incumbent of the parish.

In 1860 a small building was erected for worship, but five years later it had to be enlarged as the congregation grew. During the incumbency of the third Rector, the Rev. Stewart Houston, Lowville was linked with Waterdown. This arrangement continued until 1870, when Lowville ceased to be part of the parish, and St. Matthew's, Aldershot, and Grace Church were linked, which arrangement remained until 1922. At that time St. John's, Nelson, became associated with Grace Church which association continued until 1974.

It is evident from early entries in the Parish Register that a large area was ministered to from Waterdown. Names of the following places appear: Strabane; Rockton; Lowville; Nassagaweya; Freelton; Kilbride; Campbellville; Carlise; Greensville; Troy; Beverly; Nelson; West Flamboro; Morriston and Acton.

According to record of the Diocese of Niagara, when the Rev. Stewart Houston was appointed in 1866, he was designated "Incumbent of Grace Church, Waterdown & Missionary parts adjacent".

See Church History in filing cabinet.

 


I - List of Parish Registers

  Microfilm
Reel
Parish Register A Baptisms 1858-1929
Confirmations 1890-1908
*Marriages 1859-1878, 1887-1928
Burials 1858-1929
246
Parish Register B *Marriages 1867-1888 246
Parish Register C Baptisms 1929-1951
Confirmations 1924-1963
Marriages 1929-1953
Burials 1930-1961
246
Parish Register D Services 1903-1925 256
Parish Register E Services 1926-1950 256
*NOTE: It would seem that when the Rev. Stewart Houston became Incumbent of the Parish, he entered the marriages in Parish Register A, but also started Parish Register B in which he entered marriages only. He might have intended this to be his own "Marriage Book". However, when the Rev. J. Francis succeeded him, he only entered the marriages in Parish Register B. There are no marriages entered in Parish Register A between August 28 1878 and November 30 1887. Marriages were again entered in Parish Register A from November 30 1887 to November 21 1928. Register B was no longer used.
Parish Register F Baptisms 1951-1961 315
Parish Register G Baptisms 1961-1970 315
Parish Register H Marriages 1954-1991 315
Parish Register I Vestry Minutes 1859-1941 315
Parish Register J Men's Club Minutes 1953-1968 315
Envelope #1 Loose Material from
Register J
not filmed
Parish Register K Marriages 1991-2001 409
Parish Register L Marriages 2001-2006 409
Parish Register M Burials 1962-2001 409
Parish Register N Burials or Cremations 2002-2005 409

III - Index of Statistical Records

a) Baptisms

  Microfilm
Reel
June 1858-May 1929 Parish Register A 246
Oct. 1929-May 1951 Parish Register C 246
NOTE: Parish Register A is that of Waterdown and include only Waterdown entries.
     
Note: Parish Register C is designated that of Grace Church, Waterdown, and St. John's, Nelson. It therefore records Baptisms from both congregations.
1951-1961 Parish Register F 315
1961-1970 Parish Register G 315

b) Confirmations

  Microfilm
Reel
Apr. 1 1890
Apr. 29 1892
Apr. 29 1894
Nov. 8 1896
May 26 1899
Oct. 18 1908
Mar. 27 1917
Parish Register A

There being no section in the register
to record Confirmations, these are all
recorded on the last few pages of the
Register in the Burial section.

246
1924, 1925, 1927,
1929, 1932, 1934,
1936*, 1936, 1938,
1941, 1943, 1945,
1947, 1959, 1951,
1953, 1954, 1955,
1958, 1960, 1961,
1963
Parish Register C
*All Confirmation services were held at
Grace Church, Waterdown, with the
exception of one at St. John's, Nelson
(May 5 1936).
Occasionally one or two candidates for
Confirmation were presented in another
Church in the Diocese, likely for the
convenience of time. However, they are
recorded in the Register.
246

c) Marriages

  Microfilm
Reel
Aug. 14 1859-Aug. 28 1878 Parish Register A
Pgs. 1-30
(Marriage Section)
246
Dec. 16 1878-Sept. 19 1888 Parish Register B
Pgs. 5-8
246
Nov. 30 1887-Nov. 21 1928 Parish Register A
Pgs. 31-57
(Marriage Section)
246
Mar. 21 1867-Sept. 19 1888* Parish Register B
Pgs. 1-8
246
Oct. 12 1929-Dec. 5 1953 Parish Register C
Pgs. 1-95
(Marriage Section)
246
1954-1991 Parish Register H 315

*NOTE: Marriages from March 21 1867 to August 28 1878 are recorded in both Register A and Register B. However, there are four marriages in Register B not recorded in Register A: Oliver Best & Eliza Harrison July 2 1868 ; John Sprout & Elizabeth Brown Oct. 26 1870 ;Vickers Henry Peart and Sarah Chisholm Feb. 22 1871 ;William H. Falls & Emily Townsend Apr. 10 1871

1991-2001 Parish Register K 409
2001-2006 Parish Register L 409
     
c) Burials    
June 28 1858-Sept. 1929 Parish Register A 246

Apr. 1 1930-Nov. 29 1961

Parish Register C 246
1962-2001 Parish Register M 409
2002-2005 Parish Register N 409
     
II Other Records    
a) Service Registers    
Parish Register D Services 1903-1925 256
Parish Register E Services 1926-1950 256
b) Soldiers at the Front, Waterdown
The following names are listed on the very back page of Parish Register A:


Thomas Flintoft
Robert Buchan
George Taylor
Willie Harrison
Clifford Nicholson
246
c) Vestry Minutes    
Parish Register I Vestry Minutes 1859-1941 315

d) Men's Club Minutes

  Microfilm
Reel
Parish Register J Minutes of Meetings
1953-1968
315

 

 

Ask Chat is Offline - Send an Email