To help ensure students receive their textbooks on time instructors can:
- submit textbook adoptions as soon as possible
- it can take 4 - 6 weeks to produce a textbook. If we are able to obtain the book quickly, the student is able to keep up with the class
- post the course outline, with chapters, as soon as possible
- we use the course outline to prioritize the order in which we work on transcription.
- contact us if you are putting material on reserve
- we can proactively obtain a copy in an accessible format through ACE
- submit tests and exams as soon as possible
- we work with the test and exams section of SAS in the production of brailled tests. To ensure the highest quality exams, please submit to SAS by the due date given.
Captioning translates the audio part of a video into captions which appear at the bottom of the screen. The ‘closed’ part means that the text is hidden until it is selected.
- Any video added to a McMaster website AFTER 2014 or being used in a class, presentation, public talk, or online course MUST be properly closed captioned - either as part of the production process or retroactively
McMaster Captioning Standard:
- In progress
- Where possible, please caption, as indicated below:
|Length of Video||Captioning Solution|
|3-5 minutes||YouTube auto-generated captions, with manual clean-up|
|5-60+ minutes||Upload to Rev.com - if less than 60 minutes,returned within 24 hours - $1/minute
Build into the cost of producing all new videos and have captioned at the point of creation.
|Commercial videos||Need to get permission to caption, then provide a digital copy to Rev.com, as above|
|Lecture Captures||No viable solution yet - average 3 hours long - only used for one term - very costly|
Questions / help / guidance - all available at firstname.lastname@example.org
Braille Conversion Service
LAS is pleased to announce that we now offer a Braille Conversion Service!! If you need Braille produced for an event or presentation please contact us. There is a nominal charge to cover production charges. $1/ page printing and $4/book for binding.