Getting Started with RACER
If you have checked the library catalogue, and confirmed that we do not already have access to the material you require, your next step is to use RACER (Interlibrary Loan) to find it at another institution. Rapid Access to Collections by Electronic Requesting (RACER) is McMaster Library's union catalogue allowing users to seamlessly search and borrow items from all university libraries and collections across Ontario.
- Register for a new RACER account. You will need your barcode number (found on your student or staff card). You will be creating a new password — keep it in a safe place.
- When choosing pickup location, if you are a Health Sciences patron, please check HSL policies.
- If you are unsure what payment method to select, select Debit/Credit (can be altered later).
Once logged in, searching is easy:
- Perform a standard search using the default profile or customize your search using the advanced search.
- In the search results, find the item that matches your request and click "get it!" to populate a request form.
- Add any additional details, and submit your request.
For more help, including information on pickup locations, and interpreting search results, choose from the topics below.
You can also reach out to the ILL department:
email - firstname.lastname@example.org
phone - 905-525-9140 X 22078 or X22077