Access is available on and off campus to current McMaster University students, faculty and staff.
As HathiTrust members, McMaster students, faculty and staff have access to a digital repository that includes millions of items from research libraries around the world. The collection includes both in-copyright materials and public domain materials. Full-text material primarily consists of books and other items published before 1923. This includes a large collection of U.S. government documents and a growing collection of Canadian government publications. New material is added daily.
McMaster users should log in as McMaster University to get access to the largest number of titles and features. As logged in users, the McMaster community has access to read and download in full-text:
- open access or Creative Commons-licensed work
- U.S. works published prior to 1923
- Canadian or Australian work published prior to 1898
- works published in the rest of the world prior to 1878
- connect to https://www.hathitrust.org
- select LOG IN in the top right corner
- select McMaster University from the Find your partner institution: drop-down menu and select CONTINUE
- when prompted, enter your MAC ID username and password and select LOGIN
- text mining of all HathiTrust content, including the in-copyright materials can be made through the HathiTrust Research Center (HTRC)
- if assistance is needed with text mining, please contact the Lewis & Ruth Sherman Centre for Digital Scholarship at McMaster University