How Books by Mail works?
This new service is open to:
- Current McMaster faculty, students or staff
- McMaster Faculty Emeritus
- Canadian mailing addresses only. Books mailed via Canada Post.
- Regular circulating books from Thode and Mills only (with some exceptions)
How Books by Mail works?
1. Using the library catalogue, search for a title.
2. Click on the REQUEST IT button.
3. Once the title is ready for shipping, you will receive an email from the library asking if you want to pick up the title in the library (starting September 7th) or receive Books by Mail.
4. Click on the Shipping Form link in the email and fill in the form.
6. The library will let you know when the books are placed in the mail.
7. Books will be checked out to you before mailing.
8. We can not guarantee a delivery date or time but you can track your parcel using the tracking number.
It's easy to return your Books by Mail:
- Users will be sent a printed paid shipping label with your box or envelope of books from the library. We also emailed the label as a back-up.
- We got you covered! This service is free to you - the shipping label shows it's already paid.
- When you are done with your books, put them in an envelope or box (you can use the one we sent to you) and attach our shipping label
- Drop the parcel off at any Canada Post
- You will know your books have been received when they are no longer checked out on your library account.
How long can I keep the books for?
1. Mills, Thode and Innis books are checked out for 120 days (subject to recall).
2. HSL books are due date can be found in your library account.
3. ILL book due date can be found on the band on the cover of your ILL book.
I requested a number of books to be mailed to me. How do I know if all the titles I requested will be sent?
Try your best to request Books by Mail on the same day. You can click the *Multiple Books box in the form to let us know but we will keep an eye out for multiple requests by the same users and mail them together. We will send you an email to let you know which titles are being sent.
How do I know when my books will be mailed to me?
We will send you an email to let you know which titles are being sent.
Can someone recall a book that I had mailed to me?
Yes, all books are subject to recall. The library will email you with the new due date.
What should I do when one of my books is recalled?
You will have to send the recalled book back. If you have more than one book checked out, you can choose to send all the books back or just the recalled book. If you are keeping some books, put the recalled book in a new envelope. Reach out to the library at email@example.com to sort out the new shipping labels.
I can't find the printed shipping label sent with my books.
Don't worry, we emailed it to you. You can print it out.
I lost the packaging you sent the books in.
Just place the books in another box or envelope. We may have to send you another shipping label, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help you sort things out.
What are the minimum & maximum dimensions of a return?
Maximum weight: 5 pounds ; minimum weight: N/A
Maximum dimensions of package: 100cm length; 200cm length + girth
Minimum dimensions of package: 10cm length; 7cm width; 0.1cm height
I would like to return some of my books. Can I do that?
We prefer that you mail all the books back together but if that doesn't work out for you, we can figure it out. You will need to find another package and send us an email at email@example.com to sort through the new weight and dimensions.
Not all the books I requested arrived.
Sorry about that. Depending on the number of books you requested, you could be receiving one or more parcels. If you received all your packages, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more information.
How long will it take for the books to be delivered? When will my books arrive?
We can not guarantee delivery dates. Check out the tracking number - you can find it on the shipping label (pdf) we sent you.
Which delivery service do you use?
Your books will be delivered by Canada Post.
How many books can I have mailed to me?
We are happy to mail you a reasonable amount of books. We will connect with you if your shipping request seems too much.
You sent me the wrong book.
Shoot! Our apologies. Send us an email at email@example.com.
Why are some books not eligible for this service?
*During library closures, we can not loan books available through HathiTrust ETAS or if an electronic version is available.
Only regular circulating print books from Mills and Thode can be shipped out. The title needs to have the Request It button in it's record. Some titles may end up being too large or too heavy to send.
I am an Alumni and/or Community member. Can I use this service?
Unfortunately, Community and Alumni do not qualify for this mailing service paid for by the library.
I am going to be on campus. Can I return my Books by Mail in the library?
Absolutely! Just drop them in any library return box on campus.
I thought I could pick my books up on campus but changed my mind. Can you still mail my books to me?
We will try our best. Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions? Please reach out to email@example.com