38 Lloyd St.
St. Catharines, ON
St. Paul's Anglican Church (Port Robinson, Ont.) fonds. -- 1883-1971. -- 15 cm of textual records.
Rev. Thomas Brock Fuller came to the area in 1841 and held services at Thorold, Stamford, and Port Robinson (then known as Port Beverly). At Port Robinson, services were held in the school house until 1844 when St. Paul's was built.
The fonds consists of parish registers containing services, Vestry and Ladies Afternoon Guild minutes, and financial records. The fonds has been microfilmed on 1 reel, numbered 301. For statistical records researchers are referred to the St. John's Church (Thorold, Ont.) and Holy Trinity Church (Fonthill, Ont.) fonds.
Title based on content of fonds.
Fonds on deposit. Ownership of the fonds resides with St. Paul's Church.
Finding aid available in hard copy and electronically.
Researchers are requested to use the microfilms. They must also sign an agreement of use form.
Further accruals are expected.
Guide To The Records Of St. Paul's Church (S/W #267)
Note: Some Information Available From Records Of Holy Trinity Church, Fonthill.
The Reverend Thomas Brock Fuller, Godson of Sir Isaac Brock, was the first rector at Port Robinson. His ministry there began in 1841, when worship was conducted in a school house until 1844 when St. Paul's Church was opened for public worship. Fuller was also rector of Thorold and Stamford. In 1875 he became the first Bishop of the newly formed Diocese of Niagara. When navigation on the first Welland Canal began in 1829, the village of Port Robinson was called Port Beverly after Justice Beverly Robinson, a member of the original canal company. It was what was termed at the time a 'port of entry', located at the junction of the canal and the Chippawa River, which provided access to the Niagara River and Lake Erie. In the second quarter of the 19th century it was the hub of transportation for the Niagara Frontier, the Niagara Peninsula and western New York State. Port Robinson could easily have become the principal town in the Niagara Region. All that remains from that period is St. Paul's Church.
The above is made up of quotations from "St. Paul's (the forgotten)" by Walter Watson, Ph.D. and Mrs. Debra Mathers, Department of Sociology, Brock University. (1979)
Note: Researchers are referred to: A Register of Baptism, Marriages and Burials by the Reverend Thomas Brock Fuller, commencing January 3, 1841, included with the Parish Registers of St. John's, Thorold, and, from the beginning of the 20th century, those of Holy Trinity Church, Fonthill.
|Parish Register A||Service Register 1949-1971||301|
|Parish Register B||Minutes of Vestry 1883-1915||301|
|Parish Register C||Minutes of Ladies Afternoon Guild
Contains Financial Records 1948-1970
Membership Lists 1948-1956
|Parish Register D||Minutes of Ladies Afternoon Guild
|Financial Record #1||1905-1927||301|
|Financial Record #2||1928-1959||301|
|Financial Record #3||1961-1970||301|
|Financial Record #4||1905-1914 (Statements)||301|
|Financial Record #5||1913-1960 (not consecutively)
|Financial Record #6||W.A. Treasurer's Book 1913-1916||301|