Access is available on and off campus to current McMaster University students, faculty and staff.
Music Online: Listening provides high quality streaming audio to support the teaching and research of music. It currently provides over 11 million audio tracks, across all the key musical genres, and is growing as new recordings are added. Users will find recordings of classical, folk, world, jazz, and popular music from the world’s best labels, including Hänssler Classic, Chandos, Smithsonian Folkways, and more.
This resource incorporates Smithsonian Global Sound as well as these other collections:
- Classical Music: All major genres and time periods from medieval to contemporary, from choral works to symphonies, operas, and the avant-garde.
- Smithsonian Global Sound: More than 40,000 tracks, the entire output of Smithsonian Folkways Recordings
- Jazz Music: All major genres including vocal jazz, bebop, acid jazz, big band, modern jazz, and more.
- Contemporary World: Music from more than 160 countries and more than 1,000 cultural groups.
- American Music: Country, folk, jazz, bluegrass, Western, old time, American Indian, blues, gospel, R&B, and shape note singing.
- Popular Music: Wide range of popular music from around the world