Roy MacSkimming fonds. 1970-2006; predominant 1998-2003.
2 m of textual records, graphic material and sound recordings.
Most of the materials in this accrual are related to The Perilous
Interviews. 1975-2006; predominant 1998-1999. 64 cm of
textual records and graphic material. Title based on content
of series. The files contain transcriptions and/or notes of the
interviews. Some files also contain background material and other documents.
Researchers should be aware of the following with regard to the transcripts.
Of the transcripts that were printed by MacSkimming, some of them have
been edited by checking against the sound recording; some have been
edited without checking against the sound recording; many have not been
edited at all and contain errors or omissions. Some transcripts have
been printed by archival staff from a USB flash drive (located in box
5) and are noted as such on the files. The audio cassettes containing
the interviews are listed separately in Series 2.
F.1 Interview logs and lists; outlines, correspondence with transcribers,
F.2 People to Interview, 23 July 1998
F.3 Notes from interviews, etc (re Chapts. 3&4);
also contains some notes re interviews in Chapters 1 and 2.
Interviews recorded with printed transcripts (audio cassettes
are in boxes 5-9)
F.4 Patsy Aldana, 26 Jan. 2000, 55 p.; also contains notes titled
Tim Wynne Jones, Feb. 2002 and a newspaper article about
Aldana, 18 Nov. 2001
F.5 David Arnason and Patricia Dowdall, 28 May 1998, 40 p.
F.6 Margaret Atwood and Graeme Gibson, 19 May 1999, 55 p.
F.7 Paul Audley, 28 Aug. 1999, 36 p.
F.8-9 Avie Bennett, 16 July 1999, 45 p.; also includes a letter from
Douglas Gibson, emails about McClelland and Stewart, photograph of James
Marsh; speeches by Bennett and news clippings about him and the company,
F.10 Pierre Berton, 21 Jan. 1999, 39 p.; also includes notes taken
of the interview and news clippings about Berton
F.11 Ron Bessie, 28 July 1999; transcript does not have page numbers;
also contains research materials on the closing of CDG books, 2002,
article on Books for Dummies, 1999; article by MacSkimming on foreign
firms, Toronto Star, 12 April 1975.
F.12 Stan Bevington, 25 Sept. 1998, transcript does not have page
F.13 Harold Bohne, 22 Oct. 1998, 36 p.; also photocopies of articles
F.14 Phyllis Bruce, 14 July 1999, 76 p.
F.15 Gray Campbell, 24 April 1999, 34 p.; also includes photocopies
and faxes about Campbell, photocopy of typed list of books published
by Grays, 1962-1982
F.16 William (Bill) Clarke, 21 Jan. 1999, 40 p.; also includes notes
taken of the interview and photocopies of articles about Clarke
F.17 Victor Coleman, 27 June 2001; 54 p.
F.18 John Robert Colombo, 14 August 1998, 36 p.; also includes ms.
notes and articles about Colombo
F.19 Jack David, 26 Aug. 1999, 53 p.
F.1 Louise Dennys, 26 Aug. 1999, transcript does not have
F.2 Kildare Dobbs, 28 July 1999, 42 p
F.3 James J. Douglas, 4 Feb. 1988, 33 p. and 26 Apr. 1999, 23
p.; also notes taken of the interview, background information about
F.4 Celia Duthie, 28 Apr. 1999, 24 p.
F.5 Robin Farr, 21 Oct. 1999, 52 p.; also notes taken of the interview
F.6 William French, 13 Aug. 1998, 31 p.
F.7 Robert Fulford, 17 July 1998, 26 p.
F.8 Doug Gibson, 8 Dec. 1998, 63 p.
F.9 Dave and Ellen Godfrey, 3 Feb. 1999, 53 p.
F.10 Cynthia Good, 27 July 1999, transcript does not have page numbers
F.11 Frances G. Halpenny, 30 Oct. 1998; also notes taken of the
interview, background information about Halpenny
F.12 Bill Harnum, 9 Dec. 1998, 43 p.
F.13 Mel Hurtig, 9 Feb. 2000, 40 p.; also background information
and news clippings
F.14 Jackie Hushion, 15 July 1999, 34 p.
F.15 Valerie Hussey, 19 May 1999, 70 p.; also manuscript notes,
27 Feb. 2002
F.16 Dennis Lee, 17 Sept. 1999, 23 p.
F.17 Malcolm Lester, 3 June 1999, 54 p.
F.18 James Lorimer, 16 June 1999, 52 p.
F.19 Allan MacDougall,11 Feb. 1999, 67 p.; also manuscript notes
and background material
F.1-5 Jack McClelland, 7 Oct. 1999, 55 p.; also My Rose
Garden (draft outline for JMs unpublished autobiography
given to MacSkimming on the date of the interview), background material
about McClelland, notes and reviews of James Kings book about
McClelland; McClelland obituaries, 2004
F.6 Linda McKnight, 20 Jan. 1999, 36 p.
F.7 Scott McIntyre, 8 Feb. 1999, 44 p.
F.8 James Marsh, 8 Feb. 2000, 48 p.
F.9 Louise and Rose Melzack, 16 March 1999, 39 p.; also notes
F.10 John Metcalf, 2 Nov. 1999, transcript does not have page numbers
F.11 Catherine Mitchell, 19 June 2000, 10 p.
F.12 Gladys Neale, 23 Sept. 1998, 45 p.; also notes taken of the
F.13 John Neale, 27 Jan. 200, 43 p.; also notes taken of the interview,
correspondence with Peter Taylor about Neale
F.14 Peter C. Newman, 2 Feb. 1999, 38 p.
F.15 Ivon Owen, 25 Aug. 1999, 53 p.; also notes taken of the interview,
F.16 John Pearce, 19 June 2000, 8 p.
F.17 Anna Porter, 20 Oct. 1998, 59 p.; also notes taken of the interview,
F.18 Glen Rollans, 1 May 1999, 29 p.
F.19 Clyde Rose, 2 may 1999, 17 p.
F.1 Karl Siegler, 12 Feb. 1999, 50 p.
F.2-3 Jack E. Stoddart, 10 Dec. 1998, transcript does not have page
numbers; also notes of interviews with Scott McIntyre, Michael Harrison,
Jack David, Simon Dardick, Paul Davidson and Allan MacDougall, 2002,
re Stoddart and General Distribution Services, email and news clippings
F.4 Donald Sutherland, 28 July 1999, 40 p.; also notes taken of
the interview, letter from Sutherland
F.5 Peter Taylor, 17 June 1999, 25 p.
F.6 William Toye, 13 Aug. 1998, 41 p; also notes taken of the
interview, notes on an interview with Dennis Reid about Toye, 18 July
F.7 Lucinda Vardey, 25 Jan. 2000, 61 p.; also one letter
F.8 Jan Walter, 8 Dec. 1998, 66 p.; also an email
F.9 Robert Weaver, 17 July 1998, 34 p.; also notes taken of the
interview, letter to Weaver 2006
F.10 Harold White, 25 April 1999, 41 p.
F.11 Rick Wilks (Annick Press), 19 June 2000, 31 p; also manuscripts
notes of an interview with Colleen Macmillan, 21 Feb. 2002 re Annick
Press, an email to Wilks from MacSkimming, 2002, photocopy of news clipping
F.12 Kevin Williams, 16 June 1999, 28 p.
F.13 Catherine Wilson, 16 July 1998, 42 p; also manuscript notes
taken of the interview
Interviews recorded which have manuscript notes taken of the interviews
but no transcripts:
F.14 Sibyl Frei, 14 June 2000
F.15 John Grey, 25 Jan. 2000; also a computer print (2 p.) of an
interview with Jim Bacque about Grey, background information, other
F.16 Lionel Koffler, 27 Aug. 1999
F.17 Rolf Maurer, 7 Feb. 1999
F.18 Bob Tyrell, 13 April 1999
Interviews recorded on audio cassette for which no transcripts were
prepared or notes taken see boxes 8-9
Interviews that were not recorded but have some manuscript notes:
F.19 May Cutler, telephone interview, 18 April 2001; also background
information on Cutler
F.20 Diane Davy, 24 Feb. 2002; also 2 pages of notes headed Sheba
Meland, Owl Books
F.21 Manuela Dias, 28 Jan. 2001; also her obituary
F.22 Grant Kennedy, telephone interview, 11 Feb. 2000
F.23 David Kent, notes from a lunch conversation, 14 Sept. 1999
F.24 Farley Mowat, telephone interview 11 March 2002; also letter
from MacSkimming, 31 Oct. 2001
F.25 Margie Wolfe, telephone interview, n.d.
Sound recordings of interviews. 1998-2001. 70 cm of sound
recordings (101 audio cassettes). Title based on medium of series.
Audio cassettes were numbered by MacSkimming; dates were also
written on them. Names are listed in alphabetical order, however some
peoples interviews are recorded on the same cassette as someone
elses interview. Use a search function to find all names. For
interviews that have had transcripts prepared and printed see series
1 for dates of interviews.
Interviews on audio cassettes with transcripts
1. Patricia Aldana, Groundwood Books, Douglas & McIntyre
2. David Arnason, Turnstone Press, & Patricia Dowdall, University
of Manitoba Press
3. Margaret Atwood & Graeme Gibson, authors
4. Paul Audley, publishing consultant, formerly with McClelland &
Stewart and Association of Canadian Publishers
5. Avie Bennett, McClelland & Stewart
6. Pierre Berton, author [this cassette was not sent to McMaster]
7. Ron Besse, McGraw Hill Ryerson, Gage Publishing, Macmillan of Canada,
8. Stan Bevington & Rick Simon, Coach House Press / Coach House
Books (2 cassettes; both numbered 8)
9. Harald Bohne, University of Toronto Press
10. Phyllis Bruce, Key Porter Books and HarperCollins Canada (2 cassettes,
both numbered 10)
11. Gray Campbell, Grays Publishing
12. William Clarke (Jr.), Clarke, Irwin (2 cassettes, both numbered
13. Victor Coleman, Coach House Press
14. John Robert Colombo, author and editor
15. Jack David, ECW Press
16. Louise Dennys, Lester & Orpen Dennys and Knopf Canada (2 cassettes
both numbered 16)
17. Kildare Dobbs, editor at Macmillan of Canada, author
USB flash drive
18. James Douglas, Macmillan, McClelland &Stewart, J.J. Douglas
/ Douglas & McIntyre (3 cassettes, 2 are numbered 18; third cassette
includes part of Scott McIntyre #38 and is numbered 18, 38; there is
a separate #38)
19. Celia Duthie, Duthie Books is on #38 Scott McIntyre ; #19
is written on cassette #38 .
20. Robin Farr, Copp Clark, Ryerson Press, McClelland & Stewart,
McGill University Press, Canada Council, Ontario government (2 cassettes;
both numbered 20)
21. William French, The Globe & Mail
22. Robert Fulford, The Toronto Star, Saturday Night
23. Douglas Gibson, Doubleday Canada, Macmillan of Canada, McClelland
& Stewart (2 cassettes, including part 1 of #27, Bill Harnum)
24. Dave & Ellen Godfrey, House of Anansi, New Press, Press Porcépic
/ Beach Holme
25. Cynthia Good, Penguin Books Canada
26. Francess Halpenny, University of Toronto Press / Dictionary of Canadian
Biography (2 cassettes both numbered 26)
27. Bill Harnum, Western Producer Prairie Books, University of Toronto
Press (part 1 on #23 Doug Gibson; part 2 on #57 Jan Walter; #27 appears
on both of these cassettes)
28. Mel Hurtig, Hurtig Publishers
29. Jacqueline Hushion, Canadian Publishers Council
30. Valerie Hussey, Kids Can Press (2 tapes)
31. Dennis Lee, author, House of Anansi, Macmillan, McClelland &Stewart
(2 cassettes, one regular size and one microcassette; both numbered
32. Malcolm Lester, Lester & Orpen Dennys
33. James Lorimer, James Lorimer & Co., Formac Publishing
34. Alan MacDougall, McClelland & Stewart, Raincoast Books (2
cassettes both numbered 34)
35. James Marsh, Holt Rinehart & Winston, McClelland & Stewart,
Hurtig / The Canadian Encyclopedia
36. Carol Martin, Peter Martin Associates/PMA Books, Canada Council
37. Jack McClelland, McClelland & Stewart (3 cassettes)
38. Scott McIntyre, McClelland & Stewart, Douglas & McIntyre
(2 audio cassettes; note that part of the interview is on cassette #18,
39. Linda McKnight, McClelland & Stewart, Macmillan, MGA Agency
40. Louis & Rose Melzack, Classics Books
41. John Metcalf, author and editor, Porcupines Quill
42. Catherine Mitchell, Tundra Books (also contains #47 John Pearce,
and #60 Rick Wilks; all three numbers are written on)
43. Gladys Neale, Macmillan of Canada (2 cassettes; both numbered 43)
44. John Neale, McClelland & Stewart, Doubleday Canada, Random House
45. Peter C. Newman, author
46. Ivon Owen, Oxford University Press
47. John Pearce, Clarke, Irwin, and Doubleday Canada (on #42 Catherine
48. Anna Porter, McClelland & Stewart, Seal Books, Key Porter, Doubleday
Canada (2 cassettes, both numbered 48)
49. Glenn Rollans, University of Alberta Press (on same cassette
50. Clyde Rose, Breakwater Books (on same cassette as Rollans)
51. Karl Siegler, Talon Books (2 cassettes, both numbered 51)
52. Jack E. Stoddart, General Publishing / Stoddart Publishing (2 cassettes,
also including #68 Nelson Doucet)
53. Donald Sutherland, Macmillan, McGill-Queens University Press
54. Peter Taylor, author and sales & marketing director,
McClelland & Stewart (includes #61 Kevin Williams)
55. William Toye, Oxford University Press
56. Lucinda Vardey, William Collins of Canada, Lucinda Vardey Agency
57. Jan Walter, Hurtig, Macmillan, McClelland & Stewart, Macfarlane
Walter & Ross (2 cassettes, including part 2 of #27 Bill Harnum)
58. Robert Weaver, CBC Radio, Tamarack Review (2 cassettes, both
59. Howard White, Harbour Publishing
60. Rick Wilks, Annick Press (on #42 Catherine Mitchell)
61. Kevin Williams, Raincoast Books (on #54 Peter Taylor)
62. Catherine Wilson, McClelland & Stewart, James Lorimer, Kids
Can Press (3 cassettes, all numbered 62)
Interviews on cassettes without printed transcripts (although there
are manuscript notes for a few of them in Series 1)
63. Susanne Alexander, Goose Lane Editions, 26 Sept. 1999
64. Peter Atwood, Blizzard Publishing, 27 Sept. 1999
65. Simon Dardick, Véhicule Press, 20 April 2001
66. Rik Davidson, University of Toronto Press, & Susan Kent,
Hurtig Publishers, 26 June 2001
67. Frans Donker, bookseller, Book City, 16 March 1999
68. Nelson Doucet, General Publishing / Stoddart Publishing (on #52
Jack E. Stoddart)
69. Sylvia Fraser, author, 3 June 1999
70. Sibyl Frei, Ragweed Press, 14 June 2000
71. John Gray, journalist, son of John Gray, Macmillan of Canada, 25
72. Anne Hardy, Michael Macklem & Nicholas Macklem, Oberon Press,
26 Feb. 2002
73. Bill Hushion, various publishers, McClelland & Stewart (2 cassettes
both numbered 73), 4 June 1999
74. Shane Kennedy, Lone Pine Publishing (includes #83 Allan & Katherine
Shute), 9 Feb. 2000
75. Lionel Koffler, Firefly Books, 27 Aug. 1999
76. Brian Lam, Arsenal Pulp Press, 30 Jan. 2001
77. Rolf Maurer, New Star Books, 7 Feb. 1999
78. Peter Milroy, McClelland & Stewart, University of British Columbia
Press, 6 Feb. 1999
79. Dan Mozersky, bookseller, Prospero Books, 17 Mar. 1999
80. William Roberts, bookseller, Shirley Leishman Books, 12 April 1999
81. Rob Sanders, Western Producer Prairie Books, Greystone Books / Douglas
& McIntyre, 12 Apr. 1999
82. Ellen Seligman, McClelland & Stewart, 20 Jan. 1999
83. Allan & Katherine Shute, Tree Frog Press, Book Publishers Association
of Alberta , 9 Feb. 2000 (on Shane Kennedy, #74)
84. David Staines, critic & author, M&S / New Canadian Library,
7 April 1999
85. Basil Stuart-Stubbs, former chief librarian, University of British
Columbia Library, 2 Feb. 1999
86. Alan Twigg, publisher, B.C. Book World, 10 Feb. 1999
87. Bob Tyrrell, Orca Book Publishers, 13 Apr. 1999
88. Randall Ware, Canadian Booksellers Association, Canada Council,
National Library of Canada, 21 July 1999
Total recorded interviews: 88; number of cassettes: 101 cassettes.
Research materials. 1970-2002. 32 cm of textual records
and graphic material. Title based on content of series.
Files contain news clippings, tear-sheets, notes, press releases, leaflets,
internet prints, catalogues, emails and correspondence, and a photograph.
Publishing firms and periodicals:
F.1 Arsenal Pulp Press, 1983-2001
F.2 Coach House Press; includes two pages of proofs signed Dennis
Reid, April 1996, printed in 2001
F.3 Contact Press; includes letter from Peter Miller, 2001
F.4 Goose Lane Editions, catalogues, 2002-3
F.5 Fitzhenry & Whiteside, 1967 photocopy
F.6 Harbour Publishing, 1979 photocopy, 2002
F.7 Harlequin Books, 1999
F.8 McClelland & Stewart Ltd., 2000 sale of
F.9 McGill-Queens U.P., catalogues, 2000-01, fax from Arden Ford,
F.10 Oberon Press, note with encl. documents used for grant applications
F.11 Porcupines Quill (John Metcalf), letter from, 2000, encl.
parts 1 and 2 of An Aesthetic Underground
F.12 Quill and Quire, photocopies of back issues, 1950-1970
F.13 Ryerson Press, photocopy, 1969
F.14 Talon Books, photocopy, 1978
F.15 Véhicule Press, chronology, 1972-1993, 5 catalogues, 1982-2001
F.16 Anglo-Quebec, 1999
F.17 Hugh Kane and William C. McConnell
F.18 Jim Lorimer
F.19 Carol and Peter Martin
F.20 Book clubs and reading, 1973, 1998-9
F.21 Book publishing, 1987-89, 2000
F.22 Book Publishing and Public Policy conference, 13-14 April 1981,
program and papers
F.23 Bookselling / Bookstores, 1999
F.24 CanLit, 1975, 1999
F.25 Chapters Bookstores, 1999-2000
F.26 Childrens Publishing, 1967, 2000; letter from Judith
Saltman, n.d., encl. chapter of her book
F.1 Editors / Editing, 1975-2002
F.2 Educational publishing, photocopy 1967
F.3 Exporting to the U.S.A., 1979-1999
F.4 Festivals (literary), includes Eden Mills program, 1998
F.5 Ideas for Book, ACP discussion paper, 1997
F.6 Independent Publishers Association / Association of Canadian
Publishers, 1989; includes photograph of the IPA bus and a computer
print of an article by Carol Martin
F.7 Marsh Jeannerett, research notes about
F.8 Literary agents
F.9 Ontario Royal Commission on Book Publishing, photocopy of
news clipping 1972
F.10 Prizes (literary), 1996-2001, includes bookmarks
F.11 Publishing conglomerates, 1998-2000; includes computer print
of a guest Quill and Quire column by MacSkimming, n.d.
F.12 Publishing Policy Reports (Audley, Lorimer); includes draft
chapter of a book by Audley
F.13-4 B.C. Book Publishing, 1999
F.15 Prairies Publishing, 2001-02
F.16 Small Presses, 1979-2002
F.17 Technology (e-books)
The Perilous Trade and other writings. 1981-[2006?].
29 cm of textual records. Title based on content of series.
The Perilous Trade (2003)
F.1 Synopsis and Chapter outline, chronology and timeline, 2000-2001
F.2 Early draft of chapter 12, Small and Smaller with
corrections, 59 p. plus 1 p. of manuscript notes
F.3 Logos for Chapter 15, faxed by Alex Schultz, 2003
F.4 Notes on revisions
F.5-11 Photocopy of edited manuscript with cover letter from Barbara
F.12-4 Page proofs, corrected, printed 5/9/2003
Other Writings by MacSkimming (see also Box 11, F. 11)
Order is chronological.
F.1 Trade Publishing in English Canada, typescript,
47 p., sent to MacSkimming by Pam Graham, 1981 for revision.
F.2-3 Anansi Then and Now: A Celebration, 1997, computer
print, 36 p.; also correspondence with Matt Cohen and Jack Stoddart,
notes on interviews with various Anansi people, paper by Jennifer Andrews
on the House of Anansi history, printed materials
F.4 A Response to The Impact of Globalization and
Technological Change on Culture
prepared for the CTPL seminar
9 Oct. 1997, computer print, 5 p.
F.5 Terms of Trade Column, computer print, 5 p., 27
F.6 Bookstores and Bookselling, computer print, 6
p., sent to Bill New, 1999 for inclusion in the Encyclopedia of Literature
in Canada (University of Toronto Press).
F.7 Reviews of two books for the Globe and Mail: André
Schiffrin, The Business of Books and Jason Epstein, Book Business,
ca. 2002, computer print, 3 p.
F.8 In Memoriam: William Roberts, [2006?], computer
print for the Globe and Mail, 1 p.
Works by others
These items are mostly bound in coil or wire and have not been placed
in file folders.
From Word to Action; 1989 ACP Conference on the Future of Publishing
in Canada, 1989
The Reading and Purchasing Public: The Market for Trade Books
in English Canada, 1991
Reading in Canada 1991 Highlights
Book Publishing and Canadian Culture: A National Strategy for
the 1990s, Association of Canadian Publishers, October 1991
New Directions, Association of Canadian Publishers, November
Correspondence. 1987-2005. 3 cm of textual records.
Title based on content of series.
Association of Canadian Publishers (Linda Liu), 1999
Dean Cooke, 1998
John Metcalf, 2000
Anna Porter, 1987
Jack Rabinovitch, 1999
Shelagh Rogers, 2002
Keith Spicer, 1988
Shirley Sharzer, 
Sue Stewart, Canada Council for the Arts, 1999
Rosemary Sullivan, 1998
F.10 Margaret Atwood, 1999
F.11 BookFest Windsor 2005
F.12 Jack McClelland, l. from MacSkimming, 1987; 4 letters, 1989
F.13 Quill and Quire: re an article on bookselling, 1990;
also notes, press release, research materials.
F.14 Jan Walter, 1999-2000
Back to Top