Advertising collection. Second accrual. [186-?]-1971.
63 cm of textual records and graphic material. 93 oversize
F.2 One-sheet items: Klaas Tilly inventor [of the]
the remedy; Maxwell House Coffee; White Rose coffee spoons available
from dealers in Greater Toronto; The Reliable Family Medicine.
Dr Morses Indian Root Pills available from W.H. Comstock
Co. Ltd., Brockville, Ont.
F.3 Small paper items and cards: McCormick machines; Page Wire
Fence Co. Ltd., Walkerville; Orillia Hardware Co. Ltd. C.C.M.
bikes; Rice Lake Furco., Toronto; Steele, Briggs Seed Co. Ltd., Toronto;
Chas. Stevens, Hard Wood Ashes, Napanee, Ont., 1893; the 1900 Washer
Co., Toronto; Saragens Head Family & Commercial Hotel (British);
Derby Dry Ginger Ale, Jockey Club Brewery, Guelph, Ont.; T. Eaton Co.
floor polishing brush and wax, 1928; T. Eaton Co. Ltd., crib, spring
and mattress, 1925; Canadian Chewing Gum Co., Toronto, chiclets; America
Dry Ginger Ale, KIK Beverages, Halifax, N.S.; Straiton & Storms
pinnacle cigars illustrated with Mr. F. Federici as The Mikado
on the front; British Woolen Mills, Owen, Sound, Ont., 1951; L.D. Sawyer
& Co., Hamilton, Ont., engines, illustrated A Portage in Muskoka;
Alfred J. Cammeyer, New York, illustrated price list for sporting shoes
F.4 Leaflets (1-4 pp in length): Brant-Ford Chain Drive
Ton-Unit for Ford Cars manufactured solely by R.O. Cumback,
Brantford, Ont.; Olson Extension for the Ford Truck
manufactured by Swedish Crucible Steel Co., Windsor, Ont.; Christmas
Walker Stores, Limited
Toronto; Super Maple
Leaf presents this dated events World War Map
Maple Leaf Super
Canadian Industrial Alcohol Company Limited,
1942; Eatons, spring and summer 1935; Gaylord Telephone Co., Chicago
, Ill., 1878; The Coach and Sedan
Oldsmobile, Oshawa, Ont.
F.5 Pamphlets (5 pp. or longer): Hudsons Bay Point
Blankets; The Hand of the Potter Commemorating the Bicentenary
of the Birth of Josiah Spode Copeland & Duncan Ltd,. Toronto,
Text Book of Atkins Sterling Quality Saws, Shurly-Dietrich-Atkins
Co. Ltd., Galt Canada; Flower Bulbs and Their Culture, J.A.
Simmers, Toronto; Engins a Gazoline, P.T. Legaré Limitée,
Montreal; Dominion Truck Equipment Ltd., Kitchener, Ont., pages that
used to be in a binder
F.6 Periodical: Fishers Machinery and Supply List,
vol. 2, no .10 (October 1920): A.M. Fisher Publishing Co., Toronto
F.7 Postcards: 8 b&w postcards of Simpsons Toronto Store
with case titled Souvenir of Simpsons and Toronto the Queen
F.8 Photographs: 4 b& w photographs of Good Year Tires, Crosley
Radios, Rolex watches. These four photographs appear to have come out
of the same binder; one is stamped Rapid Grip and Batten Limited, Toronto.
One b&w photograph of White Rose salesmens Topnotchers
Sales Progress Club, 1949
F.9 Cloth Doll: Kelloggs Rice Krispies Cloth Doll, with
mailing envelope, 1948
F.10 Recipes: Grape-Nuts, Canadian Postum Co. Ltd., Toronto
F.11 Display card: Belle Ewart Ice (needs repair)
F.12 Display card: Dingmans Soap Sweeps the World,
electric soap, card is shaped like a broom, Toronto
F.13 Paper Hat: Nasmiths Peter Pan Bread
F.14 Bookmark: Leonard Bros. Fish Dealers, Montreal; contains a
calendar for 1902, plasticized
F.15 Correspondence: John Watson Manufacturing Co., Ayr, Ontario,
1956, with enclosure; Geo. W. Stout, Studebaker, Hamilton, Ont., 1915
F.16 Mailing envelope: Bankers and Manufacturers Liquidation
Sale, Fall and Winter Catalogue, 1932-33, Regina, Sask.
Small Signs (with sticks):
F.17 Bordens Milk Co. Ltd., Montreal; col. image of bucolic
F.18 Nearly All In image of two cats in a hat;
Battle Creek Toasted Corn Flake Co. Ltd., London, Ont.
F.19 Buy Only the New Williams Machine, Williams Mfg.
Co., Montreal, sewing machines; image of men fishing
- Mens clothing collection: Five items, all on Whatman Drawing
Board. Pencil sketches filled in with water-colours. Four of men in
suits. There is also one drawing of the heads of young boys presumably
for a different advertising campaign. They are grouped together here
because they are all on Whatman boards.
- National Employment Office Jobs campaign in Toronto, 1965. Four items,
all on Hi-Art Boards. Three pencil sketches with pasted up text. One
charcoal pencil, pen and ink drawing of a building
Reaching goals campaign, 1953. Seven items. Drawings done in tempera,
cut and pasted onto Banbridge Board. Not all items are pasted onto boards.
- Studebaker. One pencil sketch, Low cost sells Studebaker to
Value Wise America.
- Young woman baking. Pencil sketch partly filled in with water-colour
- Notice that Archie the comic strip will be appearing in the London
Free Press. Artist: Eric Charles Bradford, 20 January 1955. On H-Art
-Cranes Fine Paper. Signed on verso: Pierre Langelier, Valentine
Studio, no. 36, 1939. On Hi-Art Studio Board Brushed on india ink. (Needs
- Childrens labels, colour book, December 1928; various proofs
with layers of colour added for Wholesome Sweets for Children
- Candyteria wrapper, black and colour book, November 1933; various
proofs with layers of b&w and colour added
- Blottes, Oct. 30, 1946; written backwards on the images
is postcard and the date Aug. /46
- Candy Box Covers; various proofs with layers of colour added Wholesome
Sweets for Children; n.d. but using the same slogan as the 1928
- Buffalo Fertilizer Co. Ideal Wheat & Corn; gouache
and ink portrait of a young woman with flowers wheat & corn
plants are in the background. Her arm is on a bag of the product. Pasted
on the verso is a printed tag: Sketch from the Art Dept. of Brown
& Bigelow, St. Paul & Toronto.
Note: Some calendar have metal strips on their tops and bottoms. Some
are on card stock. Banks have been grouped together.
- Bank of Nova Scotia, 1954; painting of Girl Guides by A. Sheriff Scott.
- Bank of Nova Scotia, 1955; painting titled Royal Canadian Sea
Cadets in Training, by H.J. Simpkins
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, 1963; painting by Yen Chin of
- Merchants Bank of Canada, 1900 and the first four months of 1901;
drawing of the head office in Montreal
- Royal Bank of Canada, 1941; paintings by A. Sheriff Scott illustrate
- Hudsons Bay Company, December 1941; painting titled John
Rowand Halts the Blackfoot Charge by Henry Simpkins
- John Labatt Limitée, Montreal, 1947 and 1948; painting by W. Book;
text is in French
- Lannins Garage, Winchester, Ont. and Chesterville, Ont.; Feb.-Dec.
1940; painting titled The Old-Time Country Doctor by J.D.
Kelly and A.H. Hider. This calendar is advertising a Ford Motor Car;
the painting depicts a horse and buggy.
- Old Chum Tobacco, Aug.-Dec. 1942; painting titled Pioneers
depicts two men with pipes through the window H.M.S. Victory
can be seen. On the verso are some notes from The Institute Program
including clothing, food, home crafts and housing.
- Ottawa Paint Works Ltd. (O.P.W.), 1938; painting of Champlain
Building a Wall on the Island of Montreal, by A. Sherriff Scott
- Ottawa Paint Works Ltd. (O.P.W.), Dec. 1942; painting titled Canadas
Victory Torch Ceremony at Ottawa, also two inserts of the torch in London
with Churchill. Medlyns Hardware, St. Thomas, Ont.
- Peoples Gas Supply Co. Ltd., 1960; Ottawa, Cornwall, Brockville
and Pembroke, all in Ontario; painting of a Goldeneye duck
- Robertson, Stark & Holland Ltd., Toronto, Oct.-Dec. 1952; bird
painting by Herb Chidley, col. photograph by Robert P. Holland
- Rock City Tobacco Ltd., 1922; Master Mason Cut Plug tobacco
- Rolph Clark Stone, Lithographers and Color Printers, Nov. 1940; Simplicity
- Rolph Clark Stone, Lithographers and Printers, 1949; York from
Gibraltar Point, drawn by J. Gray. York is now Toronto.
- J. Bruce Payne, Ltd., Pharaoh Cigars, Granby, Que.; display card allowing
the user to set the day and month; with b&w photograph of a woman
in and oval frame
- Frank Hawkins Grocery, 1934; painting of rapids; Kelloggs cereals
- General Accident Assurance Company, Toronto, 1926; drawings and cartoons
illustrate each month; on the verso is text about When Accidents
Occur. This calendar is water-damaged and in fragile condition.
-Howard Smith Paper Mills Ltd., Montreal, 1930; paintings of birds by
Major Allan Brooks illustrate each month; ends April 1931
-Howard Smith Paper Mills Ltd., Montreal, 1932; drawings and etching
of dogs by Morgan Dennis illustrate each month; ends April 1933
- Producers Dairy, [Ottawa], 1940; daily order forms are attached
- Scott Mission, Toronto, 1959
- St. Remy Motor Service Ltd., Kingston, Ontario 1948; illustrated with
a wedding photograph of Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh
- Toronto Humane Society calendars for 1927, 1939 and 1942, illustrated
with photographs of wild animals (1927), pets (1939) and animals in
war (1942). The month of February is missing from the 1942 calendar.
The 1927 calendar has information on the animals printed on the verso.
- Watkins, 80th Anniversary, 1948, Montreal, Winnipeg, Vancouver; illustrated
with a painting of a stage coach under siege. Calendar includes a list
of the many household products sold.
- Watkins, December 1960; illustrated with a painting of a family on
a merry-go-round. . Calendar includes a list of the many household products
sold. Stamped E.D. Kruger, R.R.3, Caledon
- Bradings Breweries Limited: Bradings Beerdrinkers
Map, a Guide to Good Times in Ontario
- Bull-Durrant Limited, Oshawa, Ont.: The Bull Shock Absorber
for All Cars, the verso is covered in penciled notes. List of
cars includes the McLaughlin.
- D.C. Co. Ltd.: Dominion Shot Shells for Field and Trap Shooting,
Dominion Metallics for Game and Target Shooting, Canada, 1915.
Illustrated with two bullets and the letter D.
- Dominion Rubber Company, Canadian Rubber Company of Montreal Limited,
Canadian Consolidated Rubber Co. Ltd.: Claques Jacques Cartier;
illustrated with a portrait of Jacques Cartier on a ship
- Kelloggs: Start the Day Right! Kelloggs All-Bran
for Constipation. This poster is shaped like a circle;
illustrated with a young woman holding a bran muffin also a maple
leaf where the price was to be written
- McCormick-Deering Line, Hamilton, Ont.: Farm machines; copyright International
Harvester Co. of Canada Ltd. Illustrated with a young woman picking
cherries; farm machinery is barely seen in the background
- Northern Wine Company, Limited, Edmonton, Alberta: $50,000,
we are forced to sacrifice; Liquor sale price list, ca. 1920
- Oxford County Clerks Office. Call for tenders for supplies for
the gaol (jail), Woodstock, Ont. 4 Nov. 1912
- Pugsley, Dingman & Co., Toronto, Ont., makers of Dingmans
Electric Soap. Kittys Bath depicts a young girl giving
her kitten a bath using Dingmans Soap. Printed by Toronto Lithograph
Co., entered according to Act of Parliament of Canada, in the
year 1886 [written in full] by Messrs. Pugsly, Dingman & Co. Toronto,
in the Office of the Minister of Agriculture.
- Rennie Seeds. Rennies Seeds Are Fresh . Every Package
Is Dated. Illustrated with flowers.
- Robin Hood Flour Mills Ltd. Robin Hood Flour Present On
Parade featuring the Band of H.M. Canadian Grenadier Guards, Coast
to Coast Thursday Evening C.B.C. Network; illustrated by the Guards
- Samuel Rogers Oil Co., Ottawa: Streetscape of Ottawa, includes Rogers
sign. Artwork by W.H. Sadd. [1894?]. Condition is fragile.
- Shamrock Smoking Tobacco: Good Luck; illustrated with
a couple in green looking for four-leaf clover. (Needs repair)
- Stanley Rule and Level Co., New Britain, Conn.: Woodworkers
Companion; illustrated with an image of the factory and carpenters
tools made by the company
- W. Bell & Cos: Prize Medal Organs, Guelph, Ont. for
sale by A.J. James, Enfield; illustrated with a drawing of an
- W.R. Webster & Co., Sherbrooke: Smoke the Famous Cigar,
El Presidente Cigar; illustrated with gold medals, crests, flowers,
Peel and Stick Posters for Vehicles
Bell Telephone Company of Canada: Eleven posters, all concerning
Bell products. Instruction on the back indicate where on the vehicles
the posters should be placed
Display cards (heavy and lighter card stock; some with stands
- Bayer: Flavoured Childrens Size Aspirin; image of
young boy and girl
- CJBC: Hear Them Tuesdays, CJBC 1010 Key Station of the Dominion
Network CBC Radio Canada; printed photographs of Clary Settell,
Ronald Colman, Sir Ernest MacMillan, Rob Hope, 1944
- Cadbury, Bournville, England Cadburys Chocolates;
image of young woman dressed in 1920s style with the product
- Cadbury: Whole Nut Milk Bars; image of product
- Coca-Cola: Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox; image of the rabbit
on a horse
- Foley Bros., Larson & Co., Winnipeg: Foleys Superb
Chocolates & Bon Bons; image of young woman with a hat of
- Grapette Soda: Thirsty or Not; image of Grapette
Girl with dog, Pearl Frush
- Green Spot, Made from Ripe Fruit, Orange-ade; image of
young woman with the product
- Johann Faber: Apollo, Finest Drawing Pencil in 15
Degrees; image of the Greek God Apollo
- Kayo: Buvez Kayo, le breuvage au chocolate chaud [drink Kayo,
the hot chocolate drink]; image of Kayo from Moon Mullens,
- Servez-vous vous-même [help yourself]; image of little
girl Rice Krispies
- Délicieuses avec des fruits; image of fruit
- Kodaks as low as $5.00; image of mother and daughter skating
- Get Good Snaps with a Kodak Camera or a Brownie Camera; images
of both cameras
- Moirs: From Sunrise to Sunrise Chocolates; image of Middle
Eastern man on horseback, signed Z. Tomasso
- Moirs: Moirs Chocolates Halifax; image of young woman
with the product
- Neilsons: Nuts & Hard Centres
- Old Chum: Fragrant
Tobacco; images of a fish, a pipe, and a man fishing
- Ovaltine: Drink Delicious Ovaltine, image of farm woman,
carrying a milking stool and a tin of the product
- Robin Hood Oats: Canadas Favourite Breakfast; image of
little girl with doll
- Smiles n Chuckes Candies; image of beach scene
- Toronto Sun (newspaper): Now Available Weekends; text only,
1971 or later
- Wrigleys: Ride Refreshed Work Refreshed; image of
two men, transportation vehicles, a factory, and a pack of the chewing
- Wynola: Good Any Time, image of stacked Wynola bottles;
Your Daily Double, image of young woman pouring a glass
of soda double sided card, ca. 1930s
- Wm Lech U Sons, 413 George Street, Peterborough, manufacturers of
fine furs: Hand-lettered one of a kind card with 4 images of women in
coats and one of a leopard from American Fashion Co. N.Y.
Unknown display cards:
- Flavor Mellowed in Wood 4 Years; only part of the display;
information on name of product not available
- Succulent; in two pieces; image of a young woman with
fruit and cereal, probably Kelloggs
- [Cadbury]. Ask for Sweet Marie; illustrated with the
silhouette of a young man wearing a hat. St. Thomas Metal Signs, Ltd.,
St. Thomas, Ont. Sign is dented.
- Railway Assurance Passengers Company, Toronto, Ont. The Oldest Accident
Office in the World; Accident Insurance all Kinds. Text only.
Part of the sign is damaged.
- Steel Company of Canada, Ltd., Hamilton, Ont. Bundling Table,
Galvanized Sheets. Contains table listing different
weights and thicknesses available.
Other oversize items
- G. E. Barbour Co. Ltd., Saint John, N.B.: Two sheets of printed
labels for King Cole Tea one is colour, the other
- Bellville, Ont., various businesses of: Printed sheet contains maps
of the townships of Huntingdon and Hungerford surrounded by small ads
for Belleville businesses. Printed by Roberts & Reinhold, Montreal
[1860s or 1870s? gold was discovered in Madoc in 1866]
- Coca-Cola Co. of Canada Ltd.: Board Game, Steps to Health,
1934; currently framed in glass which cannot be removed. The board display
looks completely different from the 1938 game. Includes slogan: Made
in Canada for Over 28 Years printed on a maple leaf
- Coca-Cola Co. of Canada Ltd.: Board Game, Steps to Health,
1938, based on the Malden Health Series; includes a message To
the Children of Canada
- J.S. Fry & Sons, Bristol and Montreal: Paper shopping bag with
printed information on chocolate bars and baking chocolate
- General Foods: Grape-Nuts cereal. Authorized Map of the Second
Byrd Antarctic Expedition with an accompanying note, 1934
- Colourful Cloth Dolls includes Dinkey the Dog, Crinkle
the Cat, and Freckles the Frog. The original set as issued by Kelloggs
also included Dandy the Duck. The patterns are printed on cloth and
have not been cut. 1935.
- 3-D face masks, printed on paper, both sides. One is a pirate, the
other a pig. Advertising Corn Flakes and Rice Krispies
- S.S. Bremen steamship model printed on paper; parts 2 and 11 are missing.
Lithographed in Canada
- Howie Wing Moving Picture Machine, 2 models printed on
paper and card stock, with reel 1 for use in the machine, printed in
English on paper. One is in English (card stock), the other in French
(paper). Lithographed in Canada
- Corn Flakes, oversize display box
- Metropolitan Bank, Toronto, Ont.: This is a leaflet for the Guelph,
Ont. branch; it contains a map of the county of Wellington. The leaflet
has been flattened and encased.
- Quaker Oats Company, Peterborough, Ont.: Jakes Glider
a wooden kit to make a flying gilder toy. With envelope and mailing