12 ways the Library can help you get exam-ready
McMaster University Library has countless resources to help students at any time of year, but during the exam period when stress levels soar and students are studying feverishly, Mills, Innis and Thode Libraries have lots of services that can help make this hectic time a bit easier:
1. Trouble focusing? There’s an app for that!
Relax, learn to manage your stress, and improve your ability to focus with Muse brain-sensing headbands. Using seven sensors to detect and measure brain activity and Bluetooth to send this information to the free Muse app, the headbands provide a one-of-a-kind interactive meditating experience. Muse provides feedback on your meditation by translating your brain signals into the sights and sounds of wind, which are stormy when the mind is active and settled when the mind is calm. The app reports on your session and progress, adjusts your goals, and challenges you to remain calm for increasing lengths of time. Visit the Library Services Desk in Mills, Thode or Innis Libraries to borrow the headbands for up to a week.
2. How do you like them apples?
Need a healthy snack to keep you going? The Library is offering free apples to students. Apples can be found in the Learning Commons help desk and at Thode and Innis Libraries – help yourself and enjoy!
3. Unwind in the Thode Makerspace
Come to the Thode Makerspace to destress before your exams! Making some cool crafts is a great way to destress and take your mind off exams. 3D print or Laser cut some ornaments, make a pouch for your phone, or create your first circuit! This will be going on until the last day of exams so feel free to drop in anytime we are open. The Makerspace is located in the basement of Thode Library.
4. Just add a cute dog
Liam the Library dog is a certified therapy dog who loves attention from students! Visit with Liam on Wednesday December 13. Liam will be in Innis Library at 11:00 a.m., Mills Library at 1:00 p.m., and Thode Library at 3:00 p.m.
5. Thode Library Services and Stress Busters
Thode Library is offering a range of activities and resources to help make exams a bit less stressful:
- Thode Meditation Station: get away from it all in Thode Library’s meditation room. Grab some earplugs and tune out, or borrow a Muse headband and calm your mind with a little help from technology. (1/2hr – 1hr room booking, 1 person at a time)
- An ongoing collective puzzle challenge! Take a break and help solve a puzzle together
- Board games and puzzles to borrow
- Forgot your calculator? Borrow one from the services desk.
6. Forgot your headphones?
You’re all set up for an intense study session at the library, and realize that you forgot your headphones! You can still enjoy your favourite study playlist by borrowing headphones for four hours at a time from the Service Desk in Mills, Innis or Thode Libraries with your library card.
7. Spark your curiosity and creativity at Lyons New Media Centre
Get creative in the Lyons New Media Centre (LNMC). Colouring sheets and pencil crayons, knitting, and origami are available, as well as VR glasses, and robots for students to sign out and play with. Some items can only be used within LNMC, some can be signed out for up to 24 hours. Click here for more information.
8. Innis Library De-Stress Zone
Take a break in the Innis Library De-Stress Zone, which includes a range of activities to help you decompress including colouring materials, puzzles, a word search, and crosswords. Students who complete the Innis Library related word search, can submit it to our Service Desk for the chance to win a prize pack that includes Library swag, the Stats Canada 150 humour book, treats, and head massager.
9. Unwind at Mills Library
Mills Library will have board games and puzzles available for students – just visit the main floor service desk to sign them out.
10. Food or drink, anyone?
Vending machines with snacks and beverages are now available and being stocked in Mills, Innis and Thode libraries.
11. Past Exams
The Library has a range of past exams from Humanities, Social Sciences, Business, Commerce Engineering and Science courses that can help you be more prepared. Find exams here.
Quiet study can be found in the following spaces:
- The Connections Centre in Mills [1st floor]
- 6th floor of Mills Library [Silent Study floor]
- Area on the west side of the 4thth floor of Mills Library [down the ramp]
- All areas on 3rd and 4th floors of Mills Library
- Silent late night study in Innis Library, Mon-Thurs, 11:00 p.m. – 2:45 a.m.
- Lower level of Thode Library, as well as a small silent study room also in the lower level
LIBRARY HOURS FOR THE EXAM PERIOD ARE AS FOLLOWS:
Thode library is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week until the end of the exam period.
Innis Library is open Monday to Thursday: 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 a.m., Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 11p.m., Saturday: 10:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Sunday: 1:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Mills Library is open Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., Saturday: 10:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., Sunday: 12:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
The Mills Learning Commons is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week until the end of the exam period.