- McMaster Home
- Using the Libraries
- Faculty Support
The four libraries in the University Library system are here to help you with your research, teaching & learning!
Key Stats and Neat Facts
- In a year more than 2,250,000 patrons enter the libraries and more than 64,000 research help questions are answered.
- The Library's Division of Archives and Research Collections houses extensive archives including those of Bertrand Russell and a noteworthy collection of Eighteenth Century Literature.
- The combined collections of the libraries total more than 2 million books, 20,000 print and electronic journal titles, and an additional 200,000 e-resources.
- General collection strengths support the research and teaching strengths of the University. Particular areas of emphasis include Biology, British History, Business, Chemistry, Classics, Economics, Engineering, English Literature, Geography & Earth Sciences, Health Sciences (with particular emphasis on problem-based self-directed methods of teaching and learning), Maps, Nuclear Physics and Religious Studies.
- The libraries acquire print, non-print, and electronic materials from multiple sources. The acquisitions budgets for the University Library and Health Sciences Library are funded separately, and materials are ordered, received and processed independently as well. To find out more about acquisitions and collection development for each library, click on one of the following links: Collections & Facilities: University Library (Mills, Innis & Thode) | Collections & Technical Services: Health Sciences Library
- The libraries participate in a number of consortial projects including CRKN (Canadian Research Knowledge Network) and COAHL (Consortium of Ontario Academic Health Libraries) for digital content.
- The libraries use the integrated Horizon software system from SirsiDynix to manage online cataloguing, circulation, and acquisitions and Endeca to power the search functionality of our catalogue.
The Library is a proud member of...
- AAHSL (Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries)
- AAO (Archives Association of Ontario)
- Alouette Canada
- ARL (Association of Research Libraries)
- Archives Association of Research Libraries
- Audio Cine (Audio Cine Films Inc.)
- Budapest Open Access Initiative (via CARL membership)
- CAPDU (Canadian Association of Public Data Users)
- CARL (Canadian Association of Research Libraries)
- CIDL (Canadian Initiative on Digital Libraries)
- CLA (Canadian Library Association)
- CLIR (Council on Library and Information Resources)
- CNI (Coalition for Networked Information)
- CNIE (Canadian Network for Innovation in Education)
- Criterion (Criterion Pictures)
- CRKN (Canadian Research Knowledge Network)
- CRL (Center for Research Libraries)
- DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals)
- EDUCAUSE (McMaster University is a member). An individual can create an acct. to view publications
- IFLA (International Federation of Library Associations)
- NDLTD (Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations)
- NEADS (National Educational Association of Disabled Students)
- OCA (Open Content Alliance)
- OCUL (Ontario Council of University Libraries)
- OUETD (Ontario Universities Educational Technologies Directors)
- Project Counter
- Public Knowledge Project (PKP)
- SPARC (Scholarly Publishing & Academic Resources Coalition)
- TEI (Text Encoding Initiative Consortium)