10 ways the Library can help you get exam-ready
McMaster Library has countless resources to help students at any time of year, but during the exam period when stress levels soar and students are studying feverishly, Mills, Innis and Thode Libraries have lots of services that can help make this hectic time a bit easier
1. Trouble focusing? There's an app for that!
Relax, learn to manage your stress, and improve your ability to focus with Muse brain-sensing headbands. Using seven sensors to detect and measure brain activity and Bluetooth to send this information to the free Muse app, the headbands provide a one-of-a-kind interactive meditating experience. Muse provides feedback on your meditation by translating your brain signals into the sights and sounds of wind, which are stormy when the mind is active and settled when the mind is calm. The app reports on your session and progress, adjusts your goals, and challenges you to remain calm for increasing lengths of time. Visit the Library Services Desk in Mills, Thode or Innis Libraries to borrow the headbands for up to a week.
2. Forgot your headphones?
You’re all set up for an intense study session at the library, and realize that you forgot your headphones! You can still enjoy your favourite study playlist by borrowing headphones for four hours at a time from the Service Desk in Mills, Innis or Thode Libraries with your library card.
3. Food or drink, anyone?
Vending machines with snacks and beverages are now available and being stocked in Mills, Innis and Thode libraries.
4. Spark your curiosity and creativity at Lyons New Media Centre
From knitting and colouring, to Google cardboard VR glasses and BB-8 robot, Lyons New Media Centre has items available to book and use. While some items can only be used within LNMC, some can be signed out for up to 24 hours. Click here for more information.
5. Innis Library De-Stress Zone
Take a break in the Innis Library De-Stress Zone, which includes a range of activities and treats to help you decompress including colouring materials, puzzles, cookies, apples and library bingo (with prizes).
6. Thode Library Stress Busters
Visit Thode Library throughout the exam period and de-stress with puzzles, colouring and games.
7. Just add a cute dog
Liam the Library dog is a certified therapy dog who loves attention from students! Visit with Liam on December 15. Liam will be in Innis Library at 11:00 – 11:30, Mills Library from 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m., and Thode Library from 3:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
8. Past Exams
The Library has a range of past exams from Humanities, Social Sciences, Business, Commerce Engineering and Science courses that can help you be more prepared. Find exams here.
9. Campus Bike Library
Don't get stuck by the bus schedule! Borrow a bike from the Campus Bike Library instead. There are ten bikes available on campus – five by Mills and five by Thode – as well as helmets and bike lights to borrow, similar to borrowing a book. Bikes can be borrowed for 48 hours at the Service Desk on the first floor of Mills or Thode with your library card, and renewed through your online library account. Click here for more information.
Quiet study can be found in the following spaces:
- 6th floor of Mills Library
- Area on 4th floor of Mills Library
- All areas on 3rd and 4th floors of Mills Library
- Silent late night study in Innis Library, Mon-Thurs, 11:00 p.m. – 2:45 a.m.
- Lower level of Thode Library, as well as a small silent study room also in the lower level
Library Hours for the exam period are as follows:
- Staring December 10, Mills Library will be open from 8:00 a.m. -10:45 p.m. The Learning Commons will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- From December 8–21, Thode Library will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week; The Reactor Cafe will be open from 10:00 a.m.– 11:30 p.m.
- Starting December 9, Innis Library will be open from 8:30 a.m. – 2:45 a.m., Mon–Thurs, 8:30 a.m. to 10:45 p.m. on Friday, Sat. 10:30 a.m. – 5:45 p.m., Sun. 1:00 p.m.– 7:45pm