First Resort is Lancaster House's database for Canadian labour, employment, and human rights law. McMaster's Library subscription consists of the resources noted below. Search all content at once or browse specific content by selecting an item listed under the Explore First Resort heading (on the left).
- e-Alert Databases, 1997 to current
Contains articles that summarize and analyse key labour and employment law decisions across Canada. The articles are organized into twenty databases (or titles), each of which covers a different area of labour and employment law. Search or browse articles and obtain access to full-text decisions.
- Collective Bargaining
- College and University Employment Law
- Disability & Accommodation
- Discharge & Discipline
- Education Employment Law
- Employment Standards Law
- Federal Labour & Employment Law
- Firefighters/Fire Services Employment Law
- Gender, Equity and Work-Life Balance
- Health & Safety/Workers' Compensation Law
- Health Care Employment Law
- Human Rights and Workplace Privacy
- Labour Arbitration
- Labour Board Law
- Labour Law
- Municipal Employment Law
- Pension & Benefit Law
- Police Employment Law
- Public Service & Crown Agency Employment Law
- Wrongful Dismissal and Employment Law
- Headlines, 2003 to the present
Lancaster House Headlines cover the latest, most significant developments in labour and employment law. Concise summaries include links to full-text decisions.
- Leading Cases on Labour Arbitration Online, 2nd edition
Includes authoritative commentary on over 2,300 arbitration awards, court judgments and tribunal decisions, with links to case summaries and analysis, as well as full texts of decisions.
- Wrongful Dismissal and Employment Law eText
Provides access to Lancaster's collection of wrongful dismissal and employment law-related eAlerts, databases and cases, supplemented by up-to-date commentary and analysis of the law. Structured in textbook format and organized by subject matter and issue.
- Supreme Court Decisions,1999 to the present
Provides updates on labour and employment law cases that are pending before, or decided by, the Supreme Court of Canada.
- Canadian Labour & Employment Law Journal, 1993 to the present
Provides in-depth analysis of key issues in labour and employment law. It also provides timely commentary on major legislative and case law developments.
- Labour Arbritration Yearbook, [1991-2012/13]
Each volume of the Yearbook contains articles that reflect the diverse viewpoints in the labour arbitration community. Includes contributions by leading arbitrators and by advocates for unions and management.
- Directory of Arbitrators
A listing of over 350 qualified arbitrators in Canada. Entries for each arbitrator can include qualifications, background, case experience, contact information and availability. Browse a complete A-Z listing of all arbitrators, or search by last name or jurisdiction.