Graduate Thesis Completion Study Space Overview
The Library is arranging to provide graduate students who are completing their theses to work in the Mills Learning Commons space for a short period of time this summer. This space is available to graduate students who have unreliable internet connections at home and/or are in challenging living situations that do not support an effective writing environment. No access will be provided to the print collection or other parts of the Library
Graduate students are required to complete the Provincial Self-Assessment Tool within one hour prior to arriving on-site and follow the applicable actions based on the recommendations or directions received from the assessment tool.
It is required that graduate students accessing the Mills Learning Commons complete the COVID-19 Awareness training. Students can complete the training in Avenue to Learn (go to Courses then COVID 19 Awareness Training).
To maintain the health and safety of those graduate students who wish to use this space, and our staff, the following limitations will be in place:
- This study space will be available Monday through Friday from 10am to 4pm, until the end of the semester.
- Library staff will not be present during these hours, but will be on-site to clear the room at 3:50pm each afternoon
- Graduate students wishing to use this space must apply for access. Here is the link to the online form https://bit.ly/grad_study
- Each student will require card access to this door be enabled on either their Working @ McMaster ID card or a white security card (will be provided if necessary)
- Access will be via the tower entrance (south east entrance, closest to LR Wilson)
- Graduate students are not permitted to bring anyone else into the space with them
- Prior to accessing the space, students will receive a communication via email outlining requirements for physical distancing and applicable procedures
- Students must wear disposable or cloth face masks. Disposable masks are available for free at the Campus Store pick-up window.
- Students must adhere to physical distancing principles, staying at least 6 ft or 2 metres from others
- Students may NOT work together collaboratively
- Students must sit in designated spots and may not move chairs or furniture around
- The study space is a quiet space
- Students should avoid leaving their personal belongings unattended
- Hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes will be provided – students are encouraged to wipe down high touch surfaces before and after use
- Students may use antibacterial wipes to quickly wipe down a keyboard on a public PC, but should refrain from cleaning or touching the monitor screens
- Washrooms will be considered SINGLE OCCUPANCY facilities
- The water refill station may be used
- Vending machines will be out-of-service
- Students must put garbage in nearest waste receptacle, including the disposal of paper face masks