Christ's Church Cathedral
252 James Street North
Hamilton, Ontario L8R 2L3
1906-1914 Canon and Rector
1911 Made Dean
Christ's Church Anglican Cathedral (Hamilton, Ont.) fonds. -- 1796-1969; predominant 1835-1969. -- 4.7 m of textual records and graphic material.
The Bishop of Quebec sent Rev. John Gamble Geddes to minister to Hamilton in 1835. The congregation was then meeting in a log-court house along with the Ancaster congregation. The church, a frame building was constructed shortly thereafter and consecrated in 1842 by the Bishop of Toronto. In 1873, when it became certain that six counties were to be removed from the Dioceses of Toronto to form the new Diocese of Niagara, architects were engaged to design a church that would be suitable as a cathedral. In 1876 the new cathedral was opened. For a more complete history see The Pilgrim's Guide to Christ's Church Cathedral.
The fonds consists of parish registers containing statistical records, Vestry Minutes, services, Brother of St. Andrew's minutes, choir registers and attendance records, Servers Guild, and financial registers. Fonds also contains correspondence, cemetery material, Building Committee records, photographs, and other documents. Most of the fonds has been microfilmed on 15 reels of microfilm, numbered 51-54, 56-57, 60-67, 257.
See also the the Gladys McAndrew fonds. McAndrew was an active member Christ Church Cathedral who served as the Dominion Dorcas Secretary-Treasurer. The McAndrew fonds relates to missionary work and residential schools in Canada from 1943 to 1954.
Title based on content of fonds.
Fonds on deposit. Ownership of the fonds resides with Christ's Church Cathedral.
Finding aid available in hard copy and electronically.
Researchers are requested to use the microfilms. They must also sign an agreement of use form.
Further accruals are expected.
See Church History in fonds description.
|Parish Register A||Baptisms
|Parish Register B||Baptisms
|Parish Register C||Baptisms
|Parish Register D||Baptismal Register||61|
|Parish Register E||Baptismal Register||62|
|Parish Register F||Baptismal Register||62|
|Parish Register G||Baptismal Register||66|
|Parish Register H||Burial Register||62|
|Parish Register I||Confirmations||62|
|Parish Register J||Confirmations||62|
|Parish Registers F2-H2||Service Registers||53 & 67|
|Parish Registers I2-L2||Minutes of the Vestry||53 & 57|
|Parish Register M2||Communicants & Financial Contributions Book 1880-1884||257|
|Parish Register N2||Burials 1967-1986||358|
|Financial Register 1||Sunday Collections
|Financial Register 2||Church Building Accounts 1835-1847||57|
|Financial Register 3||Account Book
|Financial Register 4||Cash Book
Pew Rentals (back of book)
|Financial Register 5||Financial Ledger including Pew Rentals, Cemetery Payments
|Financial Register 6||Ledger Accounts
|Financial Register 7||Ledger Accounts
|Financial Register 8||Collection & Expense Ledger 1875-1886||63|
|Financial Register 9||Ledger Accounts
|Financial Register 10||Communicants Management Minutes
|Financial Register 11||Collection Record
|Financial Register 12||Ledger Accounts
|54 & 63|
|Financial Register 13||Ledger Accounts
|Financial Register 14||Expense Ledger
|Parish Register M2||Financial Contributions
|Financial Register 15||Board of Management Minutes
|Financial Register 16||Parochial Poor Fund
(Juliet Doolittle Trust Fund)
|Financial Register 17||Expense Journal Accounts 1935-1963||
|Financial Register 18||Ledger of Appeals/Pledges
55 (second half)
|Financial Register 19||Church Account Book
|Financial Register 20||Church Account Book
|Financial Register 21||Church Account Book
|Financial Register 22||Church Account Book
|Financial Register 23||Church Account Book
|Financial Register 24||Church Account Book
|See Also:||Boxes labelled - Financial Record/Vouchers/Returned Cheques/Receipts/Bills||Box #
|(1838-1863)||Parish Register A
(this particular register has Baptisms, Marriages, Burials and Confirmations all intermingled.)
|1835-1838||Parish Register B||60|
|1835-1850||Parish Register C||61|
|1850-1864||Parish Register D||61|
|1864-1900||Parish Register E||62|
|1900-1925||Parish Register F||62|
|1925-1956||Parish Register G||66|
|1838-1863||Parish Register A||60|
|1835-1838||Parish Register B||60|
|1838-1900||Parish Register I||62|
|1871-1889||Parish Register J||
|1880-1889||Parish Register M2
|1838-1863||Parish Register A||60|
|1835-1838||Parish Register B||60|
|1835-1854||Parish Register C||61|
|1855-1882||Parish Register H||62|
|1882-1888||No records from 1882-88. Continues July 1889 in Register H.||N/A|
|1889-1967||Parish Register H||62|
|1967-1986||Parish Register N(2)||358|
|For other material see listed in "Other Records" the following:
Cemetery Book (IV b)
Burial Ground Register
|See also Boxes #6, 7 and 8||
Cemetery Returns-Reports of Internments, 1888-1907
Cemetery Records (1840, 1855-85)
Cemetery Payments in Fincancial Ledger 5
|Sept. 1838-July 1840||Parish Register A||60|
|(1835-1838)||Parish Register B||60|
|Mar. 1835-Apr. 1849
|Parish Register C
See also Envelope #4
|May 1849-Dec.1868||Parish Register K||Pt.1 62
|Jan. 1858-Feb. 1878||Parish Register L||63|
|Mar. 1863-May 1864||Parish Register M||63|
|Feb. 1869-July 1912||Parish Register N||63|
|Oct. 1869-Feb. 1904||Parish Register O||64|
|Feb. 1904-Aug. 1908||Parish Register P||64|
|Aug. 1908-Jan. 1911||Parish Register Q||64|
|Jan. 1911-Nov.1913||Parish Register R||64|
|July 1912-Jan. 1938||Parish Register S||Pt.1 64
|Dec. 1913-Mar. 1919||Parish Register T||65|
|Mar. 1919-Mar. 1924||Parish Register U||65|
|Mar. 1924-Sept. 1929||Parish Register V||65|
|Sept. 1929-Dec. 1935||Parish Register W||65|
|Dec. 1935-May 1938||Parish Register X||65|
|Jan. 1938-July 1949||Parish Register Y||Pt.1 65
|June 1938-Sept. 1942||Parish Register Z||67|
|Sept. 1942-Feb. 1946||Parish Register A2||67|
|Feb. 1946-June 1949||Parish Register B2||67|
|June 1949-Apr. 1953||Parish Register C2||67|
|Apr. 1953-Dec.1959||Parish Register D2||60|
|Jan. 1960-Aug. 1969||Parish Register E2||60|
|*For period 1835-1838 see also J.G. Geddes' Book of Banns for Hamilton and Barton, Envelope #4.|
|Apr. 9 1855-Apr. 26 1886
(*See note below)
|Parish Register I2||53|
|Apr. 13 1886-July 3, 1939||Parish Register J2||57|
|May 13, 1886-July 3, 1939||Parish Register K2
Vestry Minutes including Financial Statements.
|Oct. 26 1835-May 30 1848||Parish Register L2||57|
|* See also Box labelled #13-Vestry Minutes-(1840-1870)|
|Mar.11, 1886-Dec. 27, 1942||Parish Register F2||53|
|Mar. 1915-June 1928||Parish Register G2||Part 2 57|
|July 1928-Mar. 1936||Parish Register H2||57|
|Brotherhood of St. Andrews. Minute Book
|Choir Registers and Choir Attendance Records
|1. Choir Register 1892-1902
2. Choir Register 1902-1911
3. Choir Attendance Record 1912-1922
4. Choir Attendance Record 1922-1931
5. Choir Attendance Record 1932-1950
|Servers Guild Register||1960-1961|
|Box #1||-General Church Wardens' Correspondence, 1830-1899. Includes some subscription lists and financial statements, as well as material relating to pew rentals.|
|Box #2||-Church Wardens' Correspondence, 1880-1925.
Most of this material is financial, but the box includes some notes by Linger on the history of the Church, some copies of sermons and details of services.
|Box #3||-News Clippings re: Chirst Church, 1870-1924
- Subscriptions, 1920
- Correspondence re: organ, 1923-1924
- Correspondence of Dean Owen, 1924-25
- Correspondence re: Cathedral's Jubilee, 1925
- Public Appeals, Order of Service Pamphlets, Notice of Meetings, 1926-1930.
|Box #4||- Correspondence of the Dean of the Cathedral, Canon Riley, 1933-1934.|
|Box #5||- Correspondence of Canon Riley, 1933-1936|
|Box #6||-Correspondence re: Cemetery, 1840-1908.
- Orders for free burials, 1840-1866
- Cemetery statements and returns, 1855-1864, 1877-1879, 1880-1883, 1884-1885.
|Box #7||- Interment Reports, 1889-1891, 1892-1893, 1894-1898, 1895-1898, 1899-1907.|
|Box #8||- Cemetery Receipts, 1853-1870, 1906
- Deeds of Cemetery Lots, 1870-1897
|(These boxes include records of some burials not listed in the Parish Registers.)|
|Box #9||- Minute Book, Building Committee, 1835-1842
- Loose Minutes, 1852-1854
- Minute Book, 1873-1877
- Subscriptions, receipts, specifications, 1850s
- 1842 agreement to complete carpentry in Christ's Church, loose minutes from 1870s, "Helps to the Building of Churches". by the Rev. W.C. Wilson London, 1835.
- Building Committee Tenders, 1852.
- Building Committee Correspondence, 1852-1857
- Building Committee Cancelled notes, 1853
- Certificates for payment and receipts, 1853
- Miscellaneous receipts and expenses, 1874-1877
- Cathedral Seating Plans, one dated 1840, rest undated.
- Architectural description of proposed alterations and additions to Christ's Church, 1960.
d) Miscellaneous Non-Financial Papers
|Box #10||- Mortgages and other legal papers relating to lands and bequests, 1840s to 1920s.
- As above includes grant of 200 acres in the Township of Nassageweya to Thomas Arnold, 1827.
- As above, 1840s to 1940s.
- Insurance policies and correspondence, 1850s to 1920s. Orders for free burials, 1840-1866
- Agreements, other legal documents, court decisions, 1870s to 1911.
- Correspondence related to redecoration, 1910.
- Agreements with Hydro - early 1900s.
- Undated pledge to abstain from alcohol.
- 1880s :Certificate of confirmation.
- 1890s :Notification of the publication of marriage banns.
- 1927 :Declaration of acceptance of the faith of The Church of England.
- Order of Service Programs, 1897-1933
- Address by Bishop of Niagara and other historical papers, 1915.
- Sketch of the life of J.G. Geddes, compiled In Memoriam, 1891.
|Box #12||- Christ Church Cathedral Calendar, 1915-1933
- Church Year Books, 1916-1921
|Box #13||- Vestry Minutes 1840s to 1890
- Draft Minutes of Vestry Meetings:
1840s (with 1840 subscription list)
|Box #14||Financial Statements and Reports 1846-1933
- Yearly financial statements and reports, 1860-1910.
- Printed Easter Reports and financial statements, 1846-1892.
- Printed Easter Reports and financial statements, 1894-1933.
|Box #15||Pews-Deeds, Debentures, Collection Books, Correspondence, 1843-1934.
1. Pew Deeds and Debentures, in approximate date order, 1843-1892.
2. Pew Receipts, Lists, Estate settlements, 1841-1870.
3. Deeds and Legal Correspondence relating to pews, 1852-1934.
4. Pew Rental Collection Book, 1839.
5. Pew Rental Collection Book, 1840-1846.
6. Pew Rental Collection Book (6), 1867-1870.
7. Pew Rental Collection Book, 1869.
8. Pew Rental Collection Book, (no date, 1860s? 1870s?)
9. Pew Rental accounts, 1867-1868.
|Box #16||Subscriptions towards various Church Funds 1842-1924.
1. Subscriptions towards the salary of J.G. Geddes, 1842.
Pew Accounts, Ground Rents and General Accounts, 1845-1855.
2. Subscriptions towards Christ's Church Dept., 1864.
3. Subscriptions towards Christ's Church Dept., 1865.
4. Subscriptions towards rebuilding and enlarging the Church, the Sunday School Fund and the School House, 1843-1893.
5. Subscription and Pew Rental Lists, 1850s and 1860s.
6. Widows' and Orphans' Fund Apportionment, 1874.
7. Subscribers towards memorial tablet, 1900.
8. Subscription book-alphabetical, 1924.
|Box #17||Organ Fund, 1875-1926.
1. Subscriptions, 1875-1878.
2. Subscriptions and Correspondence, 1918-1924.
3. Subscriptions and Correspondence, 1924-1925.
4. Subscriptions, 1924.
5. Cash Book
- Memorial Organ Fund, 1924-1925.
- F.W. Wase Testimonial, 1926.
|Box #18||1. Receipts for monies paid out by the Church Wardens, 1843- 1844.
2. As above, 1844.
3. Financial Correspondence, Accounts and Receipts, 1840s.
4. "Adoptions" arranged by the church, 1840s.
5. Invoices, accounts, collections, receipts, pew rental, correspondence, 1840s.
6. Receipts paid for monies paid by Church, 1845-1851.
7. Financial correspondence, vestry minutes, receipts, insurance policies, 1850s.
8. Receipts, accounts, promisory notes, financial correspondence, 1850s.
|Box #19||(3) Account Books:
a) Receipt Book, Church Wardens, May 1858-Sept. 1859.
b) Receipt Book, Sept. 1859-Sept. 1860.
c) Receipt Book, Apr. 1861-May 1866.
1. Accounts, invoices, receipts, promisory notes, pew rentals, etc., 1850s and 1860s.
2. Invoices, statements of income-expenditure, pew rentals , receipts, 1950s and 1860s.
3. Statements of account, 1850s and 1860s.
4. Receipts and financial correspondence.
5. Receipts and pew rents, 1860s.
6. Receipts, 1860s to 1870.
7. Accounts, 1850s to 1890, with receipts - expenditure statements for 1874-77, 1885-86.
|Box #20||- Offertory Books, containing details of offerings made at services:
a) Apr. 1890-Dec. 1890
b) Jan. 1891.-Sept. 1891
c) Sept. 1891-Apr. 1892
d) Apr. 1893-Mar. 1894.
- Book of cheque stubs, May 1890-Jan. 1891.
- Bundle of receipts, Apr. 1890-Mar. 1891
- Receipts and paid invoices, 1891-1899.
- Sunday School Accounts, 1862-1901.
- Financial Correspondence including promisory notes, receipts, lists of debts due, pew rental correspondence, 1845-1910.
|Envelope #1||Prayer Book, T. George III , found in Cathedral vault.|
|Envelope #2||"Book of Common Prayer", published London, 1796.|
|Envelope #3||General Accounts Ledger, 1864-1869|
|Envelope #4||J.G. Geddes' Service Book for Hamilton, Barton and Wellington Square, 1835 with (upside down) Book of Banns, listing marriages celebrated 1835-1838.|
|Envelope #5||Cathedral Guild Letters, membership lists, etc. 1890.|
|Envelope #6||Invoices for advertising medical lecture, 1893.|
|Envelope #7||Mothers' Meeting, Fuel Orders, 1902-1907.|
|Envelope #8||Photographs of the Cathedral, Prayer and other Cards, 1926-1932. Account book-lists receipts from Poor Boxes.|
|Envelope #9||Line Plate of Cathedral Interior.|