What is the Learning Commons?
The Mills Learning Commons is an active student-centered learning space. It integrates traditional and emerging scholarly resources, information technology, expert help, instruction, and collaborative and individual study space.
Where is the Commons located?
The Mills Learning Commons is on the second (McLay Reading Room and Reference area) and third floors (group study rooms) of Mills Memorial Library.
What hours is the Commons open?
The Commons is open whenever the building is open. Check the Mills hours pages for hours by term.
What kinds of study spaces are available?
- Group study
- individual workstations
- quiet study
- soft seating
What software is available on the computers?
What printing and copying equipment is available?
- 2 black and white printers
- 1 colour printer (located outside the Map Collection on the 1st floor)
- 2 photocopiers
- 1 scanner
What services are available for students with disabilities?
The Coordinator, Library Services for Students with Disabilities, is located in the McLay Reading Room. Learning Commons computers have specialized software installed (ZoomText, Jaws, Kurzweil 3000 Black and White). There are also two Consulting Rooms equipped with PCs and scanners for use by students with disabilities.
What kind of help can I get?
- Research Consultations: help with a class assignment, follow-up to an instruction session, or assistance in designing class assignments for large introductory courses.
- IT Help for computer questions: setting up accounts (WebCT, MAC ID, LibAccess, etc.), printing documents, using various computer applications and getting wireless access.
- Writing/authoring help: advice on writing papers, managing citations (using tools such as RefWorks) and creating presentations.
- Virtual help: instant messaging, email, phone and in-person help.
- Instruction: workshops on topics such as finding books & articles, Web searching, RefWorks (a citation management tool), and workshops for graduate students.
- Data Services: additional data software and computers are available in the Gateway Room (1st Floor, Mills).
When can I get help?
Check the hours listed above.