What is a Technical Report?
"A technical reports is a document which gives the results or the progress of a research and/or development investigation. Where appropriate it draws conclusions and makes recommendations, and is initially submitted to the person or body for whom the work was carried out. Commonly a report bears a number which identifies both the report and the issuing organization."
(C.P. Auger, Information Sources in Grey Literature, 2nd ed., London: Bowker, 1989, p.8)
Finding Technical Reports
- Most of the technical reports that are available at the Thode Library are not included in McMaster's library catalogue.
- To find out if Thode carries a paper copy ask at the Research Help Desk.
- Reports that Thode carries in microform, can be located by report no. in metal drawers on the 2nd Floor of the Thode Library.
- Reports that Thode does not carry can be obtained through Interlibrary Loan.
Technical Reports from McMaster's Communications Research Lab
- Technical reports from McMaster's Communications Research Laboratory can be searched through McMaster's library catalogue:
- enter "crl report" (quotes not required) in the search box and hit return
- Some CRL reports are available in print on the second floor of the Thode Library other electronically either as abstracts or full-text.
Finding Reports Numbers
- To ascertain a report number, check the Report Series Codes Dictionary (Thode Quick Ref. Q 179 .R46 1986)
Technical Reports Websites
- Many technical reports are available freely on the internet:
NSCEP/NEPIS - EPA's Gateway to Free Digital & Paper Publications
NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS)
Includes current and historical aerospace literature (technical reports, journal articles, conference papers, images, photos, etc.) back to 1915.
OpenSIGLE : System for Information on Grey Literature in Europe
This site provides "open access to SIGLE bibliographical references of reports and other grey literature (GL) produced in Europe until 2005. Examples of GL include technical or research reports, doctoral dissertations, some conference papers, some official publications, and other types of grey literature."
The US government gateway to government science information and research results.
Technical Report Archive and Image Library (TRAIL)
This site provides access to US federal reports up to 1975.
Virtual Technical Reports Center / University of Maryland Libraries
A browseable site by institutions for technical reports, e-prints, reprints, dissertations, theses and research reports.