Some e-books have this note: "View e-book for 5 minutes and/or request a loan or purchase". How does that work?
How do I get a 5 minute preview?
- click on the "Link to online resource" link
- log in with your MAC ID and you'll go to the Ebook Library page
- on the left, under "Loan Options", click the "CLICK HERE TO BROWSE" button, or the "EBL Read Online" button
How do I request a loan?
- on the left, under "Loan Options", select "Click here to request a loan."
- fill out the request form
- request your loan period: either 1 or 7 days
- for urgent requests: please note this in the comments box
- click on "Send Request"
What happens then?
- the request goes to a librarian who reviews all of the requests several times throughout the day during business hours
- when your request is approved, you will receive an email giving instant access to the e-book
What can I do during the loan period?
- you can download the book or read it online
- you can print a portion of the book (but not the entire book)
- you can copy and paste parts of the text into another document
When does the loan period start?
- it begins the first time you click on the link to the e-book in your email to ‘open' the e-book
What happens when the loan period expires?
- the downloaded title will become inaccessible on your computer
- if you try to open it, you will get a message that your loan period has expired
Can I renew?
- no, but you can request another loan on the same book
How do I request another loan on the same book?
- first remove all previous instances of the book (and prior loan) from your computer:
- go to the "My Digital Editions" folder in the My Documents folder, and delete the title
- open the Adobe Reader; in the Menu bar, click on File… Digital Editions… My Digital Editions
- in the My Digital Editions pop-up window, click on the expired title, right-click the image of its cover, select Remove, and click OK
- now you can request a second loan in the same way you did the first loan
What are the restrictions on printing and copying?
- For each title, you have the following permissions:
- print = up to 20% of text
- copy/paste = up to 5% of text
- the Online Reader will tell when you have used these permissions
- Adobe Reader can also tell you about your remaining permissions: while viewing the book, click File Menu… Properties