If you try to access an e-Resource from the library website, you're usually prompted to login to Off-campus Access with your MAC ID. However, sometimes you might follow a link to one of our subscribed e-Resources from somewhere other than the library website (like an email message or another webpage), and because you didn't start at the Library website, you are not recognized as a subscriber.
Enter the Off-campus Access bookmarklet! It's a script or short program you can add to your browser that allows you to quickly authenticate yourself as a McMaster user and access content that requires a subscription.
Installing the Bookmarklet
- Firefox users: right-click this link 'Off-campus Access Bookmarklet' and select 'Bookmark This Link...'. Alternatively, click and drag the link to your 'Bookmarks' toolbar.
- Internet Explorer users: right-click this link 'Off-campus Access Bookmarklet' and select 'Add to Favourites'. Alternatively, click and drag the link to your 'Links' toolbar. You may be prompted with a security alert warning you that the link may not be safe. It is fine to click 'yes' to continue.
- Safari users: right-click this link 'Off-campus Access Bookmarklet' and select 'Copy link'. Bookmark this page by selecting 'Add Bookmark' from the Bookmarks menu. Go to where you saved this bookmark (e.g. Bookmarks Bar) and right-click the bookmark. Select 'Edit Address'. In the Address section, right-click and select 'Paste' to paste the bookmarklet code.
- Chrome users: drag this link 'Off-campus Access Bookmarklet' to the bookmarks bar. If the bookmarks bar is not displaying, press Ctrl-Shift-B.
Using the Bookmarklet
When you click on a link to an e-Resource from any page on the library website, you are asked to login to Off-campus Access (with your MAC ID) to gain access to that subscribed resource. However, we recognize that not all searches begin at the library website! Sometimes, you might find a link to an e-Resource through a Google search or in an email from your favourite database or e-Journal provider. This is when the Off-campus Access Bookmarklet becomes useful! Here's how you can use it in such instances:
- click the link as normal
- once the page loads, click the Off-campus Access Bookmarklet in your Favourites/Bookmarks
- the bookmarklet will direct you to the Off-campus Access login page where you can login with your MAC ID
- after you click the 'Log in' button, you will be redirected back to the resource page, but the website will now recognize you as a McMaster user.
- Once you have added the Off-campus Access bookmarklet to your browser, you should be able to gain access to restricted resources at the click of a button. In some cases you may need to use the browser's 'Back' button to return to the resource URL, not the vendor's login/error page.
- The Off-campus Access Bookmarklet only provides access to those electronic resources we have subscribed to. If you follow a link to a resource that McMaster has not subscribed to, the Off-campus Access Bookmarklet will not provide you with access to that resource!
If you install the bookmarklet, let us know what you think. Send us a message.