Oxford Music Online (includes Grove Music Online)
- the leading online resource for music research
- scholarly encyclopedia articles covering classical, opera, jazz, popular music, etc.
- composers, performers, conductors, individual works, instruments and notation, forms and genres
- Grove Music Online: The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, The New Grove Dictionary of Opera, and The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz, including updates
- Encyclopedia of Popular Music, 4th ed., Colin Larkin, ed.: popular music of all genres and periods from 1900 to the present day, including jazz, country, folk, rap, reggae, techno, musicals, and world music
- The Oxford Dictionary of Music, 2nd ed. rev., Michael Kennedy, ed.: 12,500 entries covering musical subjects of all kinds
- The Oxford Companion to Music, Alison Latham, ed.: a concentrated focus on the Western classic tradition, from the Middle Ages to the present day
Garland Encyclopedia of World Music / Bruno Nettl, et al., eds.
- a comprehensive survey of world music organized in ten volumes by continent
- MILLS Music Reference (4th floor) ML 100 .G16 (10 volumes)
New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians / Stanley Sadie, ed.
- print version in Mills Music Reference (4th floor) ML 100 .N48 (29 volumes)
Encyclopedia of Music in Canada / Helmut Kallmann, et al., eds.
- 4000 articles on all aspects of music in Canada
Harvard Dictionary of Music / Don Michael Randel, ed.
- general source for terms, definitions, instruments, periods
- MILLS Music Reference (4th floor) ML 100 .A64
Baker's Dictionary of Music / Nicolas Slonimsky; Richard Kassel, ed.
- 1,171 pages of musical definitions and brief biographies
- MILLS Music Reference (4th floor) ML 100 .S635
Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Musicians / Nicolas Slonimsky; Laura Kuhn, ed.
- 6 volumes of useful and reliable compact biographies of musicians of all ages and nations
- includes lists of composers' works and bibliographies
- MILLS Music Reference (4th floor) ML 105 .B16
Continuum Encyclopedia of Popular Music of the World / John Shepherd, et al., eds.
- a seven volume guide to world music industries organized by continent
- MILLS Music Reference (4th floor) ML 102 .P66 C66 (7 volumes)
New Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments / Stanley Sadie, ed.
- articles on Western and non-Western musical instruments, historical and modern, their makers, and performance practices
- bibliographies of additional source materials on specific instruments
- MILLS Music Reference (4th floor) ML 102 .I5 N48