The Statutes of Ontario are the laws enacted by the provincial Legislature since Confederation. These laws cover the variety of areas falling under the province's jurisdiction, as stipulated in the Canadian Constitution (e.g. education, municipal affairs, etc.).
After a Bill has received Royal Assent, it is assigned a chapter number (numbers are assigned in chronological order by Assent date) At the end of the session, these Acts are published as a volume of the Statutes of Ontario. Each volume consists of:
- a Table of Contents, in alphabetical order by title. Each entry lists the act's original bill number
- the main body of the volume, comprising the full text of all acts passed during the session. The statutes are arranged into two sequences - all public acts followed by all private acts (i.e. acts referring to a specific corporation or individual)
- the "Table of Public Statutes", listing all acts appearing in the most recent edition of the Revised Statutes of Ontario, as well as all amendments and new acts passed since that date. Acts are listed in alphabetical order by title. Amendments to each act are listed under the title, in numerical order by section number
- a "Table of Proclamations"
- A "Table of Regulations"
Statutes are constantly being amended by Parliament (i.e., whole acts or sections of acts are added, deleted and/or changed). The Ontario government publishes a complete consolidation of the public acts approximately every ten years to to incorporate all of these changes. (Private acts are not included.)
The Acts are arranged alphabetically by title.
The 1980 Revised Statutes of Ontario consists of:
- volumes 1-8, containing the full text of the statutes
- volume 9, containing the appendices and schedules. Includes early imperial acts dealing with the constitution, property, civil rights and the boundaries of Ontario. Also includes a "Table of Acts Repealed or Consolidated by the R.S.O., 1980"; a Table of Acts Unconsolidated in the 1980 R.S.O.'s but still having Effect"; and a "Table of Private Acts, 1867-1980"
- volumes 10-11, comprising the index to the set.
- Revised Statutes of Ontario, 1980, vol. 10-11, Index
- Ontario Statute Citator
KEO 72 .O683 (MILLS Reference)
This loose-leaf service lists all statutes appearing in the most recent edition of the R.S.O's as well as any new acts passed since that date. The acts are listed in alphabetical order by title. Each citation provides a) the citation to the R.S.O. or the Sessional volume, chapter and year if enacted since 1980; b) and the full text of all amendments to the act since the last R.S.O. or the enactment date.
Statutes of the Province of Ontario, 1867
CA2ON YX21 -S21 (MILLS Reference)
1867 - 1987
Revised Statutes of Ontario, 1877
CA1ON YX 41 -X7R27 (MILLS Reference)
Revised Statutes of Ontario, 1887
CA1ON YX 41 -Y7R27 (MILLS Reference)
Revised Statutes of Ontario, 1897
CA1ON YX 41 -Z7R27 (MILLS Reference)
Revised Statutes of Ontario, 1914
CA1ON YX 41 -14R27 (MILLS Reference)
Revised Statutes of Ontario, 1927
CA1ON YX 41 -27R27 (MILLS Reference)
Revised Statutes of Ontario, 1937
CA1ON YX 41 -37R27 (MILLS Reference)
Revised Statutes of Ontario, 1950
CA1ON YX 41 -50R27 (MILLS Reference)
Revised Statutes of Ontario, 1960
CA1ON YX 41 -60R27 (MILLS Reference)
Revised Statutes of Ontario, 1970
CA1ON YX 41 -70R27 (MILLS Reference)
Revised Statutes of Ontario, 1980
CA1ON YX 41 -80R27 (MILLS Reference)
Revised Statutes of Ontario, 1990
CA1ON YX 41 -90R27 (MILLS Reference)
Ontario Statute Annotations
KEO 72 .O682 (MILLS Reference)
Statutes are available online e-Laws: Ontario Statutes and Regulations