The Statutes (sometimes referred to as Acts) are the laws enacted by the Government of Canada since Confederation.
After a Bill has received Royal Assent, it is assigned a chapter number. These numbers are assigned chronologically according to Royal Assent date.
At the conclusion of the session, the bound-volume edition of the Acts of the Parliament of Canada is published. This volume includes:
- a table of contents, alphabetical by act title
- the main body of the volume - the full text of all acts passed during the session. The acts are arranged into two sequences - Public General Acts followed by Local and Private Acts
- an index to the Public General Acts
- "Proclamations of Canada and Orders in Council Relating to the Coming into Force of Acts"
- the "Table of Public Statutes." This table lists: a) all acts included in the most recent edition of the Revised Statutes of Canada; b) any new acts passed since that edition; and c) some unconsolidated acts which are still in force. (Acts are arranged in alphabetical order by title.) Amendments to each act (since the last R.S.C.) are listed under the title in numerical order by section number.
Revised Statutes of Canada
Statutes are constantly being amended by Parliament (i.e., whole acts or sections of acts are added, deleted and/or changed). The Canadian government periodically issues complete consolidation or "revisions' of the law to incorporate all of these changes.
The federal statutes have been revised six times since Confederation. The Revised Statutes of Canada, 1985 consists of:
- volumes 1 - 8, the full text of all statutes, consolidated to December 31, 1984; Note that local and private acts are not included in the R.S.C.;
- four supplementary volumes, containing amendments to acts contained in the Revised Statutes of Canada, 1985, as well as new acts enacted in 1985, 1986, 1987 and 1988. Also include the Income Tax Act and a table listing the "History and Disposal of Acts;"
- Appendix I - Schedule of Acts and parts of the Acts repealed by the Revised Statutes of Canada, 1985.
- Appendix II - Constitutional Acts and Documents.
- Appendix III - Canadian Bill of Rights.
- Table of Concordance: The consolidation process results in changes to the section numbering of many acts since the last revision (e.g. section 12 becomes section 13 if another section is added before it). The Table of Concordance allows the user to translate chapter and section numbers from the last R.S.C. (at this point, 1970) and subsequent Sessional volumes into the R.S.C. 1985 numbers.
- The Revised Statutes of Canada, 1985: Index.
CA1 YX 41 - 85 R27 (MILLS Gov Pubs)
This index covers the first 8 volumes as well as the supplementary volumes of the R.S.C.
Note that references to acts appearing in the supplements are indicated by an alphanumeric chapter number (always containing at least one decimal), not the chapter number assigned in the supplement. See the Table of Concordance of Chapters in the index volume.
- Each Sessional volume has its own index.
- Canada Statute Citator
KF .C5 (MILLS Gov Pubs Quick Reference)
This loose-leaf service lists all statutes appearing in the most recent R.S.C. as well as any new acts passed since that date. The acts are arranged in alphabetical order by title. Each entry includes: a) the citation to the proper R.S.C. or Sessional chapter number and year; and b) the full text of all amendments (since the most recent R.S.C., in numerical order by section number.
Statutes of Canada
CA1 YX 21 - S71 (MILLS Gov Pubs)
1841 - 1951
Revised Statutes of Canada, 1886
CA1 YX41 - Y6R27 (MILLS Gov Pubs)
Revised Statutes of Canada, 1906
CA1 YX41 - 06R27 (MILLS Gov Pubs)
Revised Statutes of Canada, 1927
CA1 YX41 - 27R27 (MILLS Gov Pubs)
Revised Statutes of Canada, 1952
CA1 YX41 - 52R27 (MILLS Gov Pubs)
Revised Statutes of Canada, 1970
CA1 YX41 - 70R27 (MILLS Gov Pubs)
Revised Statutes of Canada, 1985
CA1 YX41 - 85R27 (MILLS Gov Pubs)
See online resources as well:
Consolidated Statutes and Regulations @ Justice Laws Web Site, Dept. of Justice
Full-text Canadian legislation and law is searchable by Title, Subject, Non-Statutory Regulation, or by Repealed Acts
This searchable site contains the Consolidated Regulations of Canada, Annual Statutes of Canada - from 1995 to 2002, and Consolidated Statutes of Canada.