Market share is ...
- the percentage (or portion) of sales of a product, company or brand in a given region or country
- used by companies to determine their competitive strength as compared with other companies in the same sector or industry
- used by companies to review their competitive performance from year to year
- not always readily available - it often has to be pieced together from information found in a variety of sources (e.g., newspaper & magazine articles, industry & company reports, web pages, personal contacts, etc.)
- do a simple keyword search in a source by typing the name of your company, brand, product, service or industry with the word "market share"; examples:
- "canadian tire" and "market share"
- iPad and "market share"
- beer and "market share"
- telecommunications and "market share"
- mining and "market share"
- try using search words that have a similar meaning to market share; examples:
- restaurants and "brand share"
- top automobile manufacturers
- "key players" and "sporting goods"
- if looking for market share for a specific country or region, make sure to include the name of that country or region in your search; example:
- wine and "market share" and canada
- The following are suggested resources where you might find market share information.
- Best Bets! are marked with a
|Business Premium Collection||1850s to current, but varies by database||Contains scholarly journals, newspapers, trade publications, company profiles & industry reports, all of which might include market share data. Worldwide coverage.|
|Business Source Premier||Varies by title||Contains scholarly business journals, market research reports, and industry & company profiles, all of which might include market share information. Worldwide coverage.|
|Canadian Business Database||Current||NOTE: This source does not contain market share data, but you may be able to calculate a very rough estimate using the company sales provided in this source. For instructions, see: Calculating Market Share Using Canadian Business Database|
|Company Annual Reports||Varies by company||Market share is sometimes discussed in a publicly traded company’s annual report.SEDAR and Mergent Online are two of the best sources for annual reports.|
|DBRS||2001 to current||Canadian market share is sometimes mentioned in the Industry Studies.|
|Global Market Share Planner. Vol. 1, Market Share Tracker
||2001 & 2002||Location: INNIS Bookstacks HD 2757.15 .G56 2003
Provides international coverage of market share rankings for over 4,500 companies organized by world, region, and country and sector market share rankings.
|Global Market Share Planner. Vol. 4, Major Market Share Companies: Americas||1997 to 2002||Location: INNIS Bookstacks HD 2757.15 .G564 2004
Provides information on brand ownership and market share for leading companies that operate in North America and Latin America.
|IBISWorld||Current||Contains company market share for hundreds of U.S., Canadian and global industries. Market share information is typically included in the Industry at a Glance, Competitive Landscape and Major Companies or Key Competitors sections of the industry reports.|
|Market Share Reporter||1991 to current||Location: INNIS Reference HF 5410 .M35 (previous editions in INNIS Bookstacks)
Contains market share data on companies, products and services worldwide. If searching for information specific to a certain geographacial area, make sure that country, region, city, etc. appears in the table title. NOTE: Prior to 2002, this title includes North American coverage only.
|Market Share Tracker
||2001-2002||Location: INNIS Reference HD 2757.15. G56 2003
Provides market share data for top companies in each sector in 2001/2002. Identifies leading 5,200 companies worldwide.
|Marketing Charts||Current||Contains statistics, charts and articles on the top players within a specific category such as automotive, retail, entertainment, advertising and more.|
|News Sources||Varies by title||Sometimes news articles provide market share information. Factiva, LexisNexis and Google News are some of the best sources for news.|
|Passport||2000's to current||Market share information is generally included in the Category Data section of industry reports. Worldwide coverage.|
|Thomson ONE||1982 to current||Contains analyst reports on companies and industries worldwide. Some reports will include market share information.|
|World Market Share Reporter||1997 to 2002||Location: INNIS Bookstacks HD 2757.15 .W67
Contains market share data on companies, products and services worldwide. Absorbed by Market Share Reporter in 2002.
Last Reviewed: August 18, 2017