Business Cases ...
- present scenarios, either real or fictitious, that describe contemporary business situations
- involve various issues and possible solutions to consider
- are intended to improve problem solving abilities and strategic decision making skills
NOTE: McMaster Libraries do not own full-text business cases. However, we do have access to many business-related case studies presented in books and articles. This guide is designed to provide information about where to locate these case studies in the library collection, as well as where to find case studies and business cases online.
Best Bets! are marked with a
Case Studies in Books
- To find a particular case study in a book, search for the book in the library catalogue by Author or by Title. For example, Business ethics through movies: A case study approach
- To find a case study on a particular topic in a book
- go to the Catalogue and search for relevant keyword(s) along with the phrase "case studies". For example, marketing "case studies"
- go to the Advanced Search in the Catalogue, select the Subject option from the drop-down menu and enter the subject headings that best describe your topic along with the phrase "case studies". Examples include ...
Case Studies in Library Databases
- In the following library databases, search for "case studies" in the Advanced Search option as a Subject and add a topic keyword in another search box. Alternatively, perform a keyword search and under Document Type, limit your search to Case Study.
|Business Premium Collection||A collection of business databases that indexes and/or provides full-text access to thousands of business publications, some of which may contain case studies. Worldwide coverage.|
|Business Source Complete||A business database that indexes and/or provides full-text access to thousands of business publications, some of which may contain case studies. Worldwide coverage.|
|CBCA Reference and Current Events||Provides access to numerous Canadian journals and magazine articles that sometimes contain case studies.|
Free Case Studies Online
- There are a number of free examples of business cases available online that are typically used for educational and marketing purposes.
|Acadia Institute of Case Studies (Acadia University, Canada)||Provides cases and various other educational resource materials that focus on Canadian entrepreneurship and small business operations that reflect "real world" situations.|
|Arthur Andersen Case Studies in Business Ethics (Carnegie Mellon Tepper School of Business)||A collection of 85 mini & 9 major cases (with teaching notes) dealing with business ethics in the areas of accounting, finance, management and marketing.|
|BCIC Business Case Library (BC Innovation Council)||A collection of case studies highlighting examples of companies contributing to British Columbia's knowledge economy.|
|Business Case Studies||Browse over 600 business cases by topic, by edition, by company or by industry. Worldwide coverage.|
|Case Studies Directory (LANSA)||Includes examples of company-specific cases that illustrate how LANSA software development tools have been (or could be) used. Case studies can be sorted by company, by industry, by application description, by category or by location. Worldwide coverage.|
|IBIMA Business Review||A peer-reviewed, open access journal that publishes case studies in all business fields.|
|Journal of Business Case Studies||Includes case studies designed for use in business and economics courses and articles related to the use of case studies in the classroom.|
|Journal of Business Cases and Applications||Includes cases and exercises developed for classroom use in any area of business education.|
|MIT Sloan School of Management Case Studies||Includes both free and fee based cases. Search or browse for cases in the following categories: Entrepreneurship, Leadership/Ethics, Operations Management, Strategy, Sustainability, and System Dynamics.|
|New York Times Case Studies (2009-2014)||The case studies address challenges confronted by small business owners. Options and decisions are included. U.S. coverage.|
Buy Business Cases Online
- The following is a list of web sites that sell full-text copies of business cases online for a minimal fee. Browse these collections by topic or search by keyword(s), author or title.
|AsiaCase.com : the Asian Business Case Centre (Nanyang Technological University, Singapore)||Catalogue of case abstracts and publisher information. All cases listed focus on business and management practices in Asia.|
|The Case Centre||Over 56,000 cases from leading business schools on all aspects of national and international business and management. Site includes the collections of Harvard Business Publishing, Ivey Publishing, Darden Business Publishing, INSEAD, IBS Hyderabad, IMD and London Business School amongst many others. Most cases are in English, with some cases also available in another language. Worldwide coverage. Try the Advanced Search to find and order cases. On the search screen, input your search criteria and select Case from the Product type: drop-down menu.|
|Harvard Business School Cases (Harvard Business Publishing, United States)||Provides cases on a variety of business topics written by Harvard Business School professors and associates. Worldwide coverage. NOTE: Abstracts of Harvard Business School Cases are available through Business Source Complete (from 1942 to the present).|
|INSEAD Case Publishing||Search or browse for over 2,000 cases in the areas of Economics & Finance, Entrepreneurship, Family Business, Leadership & Organisations, Marketing, Operations, Responsibility, and Strategy. Worldwide coverage.|
|Ivey Business School Cases (Western University, Canada)||Publishes and distributes hundreds of cases annually produced by the Ivey Business School and a variety of other institutions including those of Harvard Business School. Worldwide coverage; includes largest collection of Asian cases in the world.|
|Stanford Graduate School of Business Case Studies (Standford University, United States)||Listing of case studies written and published by faculty at Stanford Graduate School of Business. Abstracts and ordering information are provided for each case. Worldwide coverage.|
Last Reviewed: August 18, 2017