Frequently Asked Questions - Excel (Microsoft)
I saved my MS Office document on a public computer to either the Desktop or My Documents, and now I can't find it. Where is it?
Re-open the MS application (Word, Excel, or PowerPoint) on the same computer on which you saved your document using the same username and password for authentication as before, and you should be able to find and open the document. Save it from the application to your own CD or USB storage device
Why can't I save my MS Office document to a CD/DVD?
Not all CD-rom recording programs let you save a file from an office program directly. A workaround is to save to the harddrive (U:\ drive on Mills, Innis, and Thode public PCs) first and then burn the file to CD/DVD. For more information, see this page.
How can I view or print my Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, or Powerpoint) file from a library computer?
Microsoft Office Suite is installed on selected computers for creating, editing, or printing files; authorization by MAC ID is required. Note: this software is also installed on computers in the UTS computer labs, see: UTS student technology centre.
Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint Viewers are installed on most public stations in Mills, Innis, and Thode Libraries for users to view or print MS files.
To view or print your Word, Excel, or PowerPoint file from any public station using the Microsoft Viewers:
- Click Start, then Programs
- Click Microsoft Accessories
- Select the appropriate application (Word, Excel, or PowerPoint Viewer)
- In the "Open" dialogue box, change "Look in" to the appropriate drive for your file
- Select your file, then click Open
- Click Print
- Follow the instructions on How to Send a Job to the Networked Public Printer
How do I open (and print) an e-mail attachment on public computers?
- Right-click on the attachment and save the file to the RAMDISK (U:). If there is no RAMDISK (U:) listed, save the file to the Desktop.
- Open the appropriate application (Note: if you saved the file to the Desktop and it is an MS Office document, use the appropriate MS application or viewer)
- Click File... Open.
- Locate your file on drive U (or the Desktop), and open it.
How do I open a file from a floppy disc, CD, or keychain drive on a PC in the Library?
Users can open pdf or html files from a floppy disc or keychain drive by using the My Computer icon in the Programs menu of public stations. To open Word, Excel, or PowerPoint files on library computers, see this FAQ.
Browsers: opening from the File menu of the web browser on public PCs was disallowed due to a bug. Instead, public users can open documents by clicking Start button, Programs, My Computer, selecting the drive and filename.
How often do you clean files that have been stored on the U drive of the Mills, Innis and Thode public computers?
Files saved on the U drive (virtual RAM disk) are cleared each time the machine is restarted. There are competing requirements for the need to clear these files in that most students do not want their documents to stay on a publicly accessible computer; on the other hand, when something goes wrong, file retention would be an asset. Also, if files were allowed to accumulate on the hard drive, performance would deteriorate.