The McMaster University Library Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee is designed to stimulate awareness of health and safety in the workplace and to encourage the active participation of all employees in the prevention of accidents. Health and safety is the joint responsibility of management and workers and includes:
- using personal protection and safety equipment
- following safe work procedures
- knowing and complying with all regulations
- reporting any injury or illness immediately
- participating in joint health and safety committees
Role of the Committee:
- to identify potential hazards
- to evaluate these potential hazards
- to recommend corrective action
- to follow up on implemented recommendations
Responsibilities of the Committee:
- conduct monthly workplace inspections
- review incident injury reports
- provide recommendations to senior management on health and safety issues
- ensure that at least one member of the JHSC representing management and one representing employees are certified to OHSA standards.
- make recommendations to improve internal responsibility and work place health and safety conditions.
- post the names and work locations of committee members.
- post and email copies of the committee minutes and Ministry of Labour inspection reports.
Terms of Reference (updated March 2015)
||Monthly Floor Inspections|
|Mills Library||Mark Heal (certified)||
|905-741-5275||healm||1st & 3rd floors|
|Janice Adlington||MUALA||21312||adling||4th floor|
|Elysha Ardelean||MUALA||23023||ardelee||6th floor|
|Audrie Schell (certified)||UNIFOR||22080||schellaj||LL & BSB archival storage|
|Nancy Waite||UNIFOR||26058||waitenm||2nd floor|
|Innis Library||Alex Erasmi (certified)||UNIFOR||22081||erasmial||Innis|
|Thode Library||Andrew Colgoni||
|Julie Willson (Co-Chair)||
|Museum of Art||Nicole Knibb (certified)||
|23241||knibbn||Museum of Art|
|Mills Library||Anne Pottier (co-chair; certified)||
|Mills Library||Marlene Mastragostino||TMG||24355||mastrag|
|Innis Library||Ann Pearce||
|Mills Library||Chris Nicol (certified)||TMG||23873||cnicol|
|Museum of Art||Carol Podedworny (certified)||
|26452||podedwo||Museum of Art|
Training for Health & Safety Committee members:
Level 1 Certification (Basic)
Level 2 Certification - requires the following courses:
- Basic electricity
- Ladder Safety
- Mould Awareness
The Library Joint Health and Safety Committee will meet every two months.
Committee meetings must be co-chaired by two members. One of the co-chairs is chosen by the members who represent workers, the other by members who represent the employer.
An agenda will be prepared by the co-chairs and distributed one week in advance of the meeting date. Members who wish to have items added to the agenda should give chairpersons ample notice.
Every meeting must have members present who represent the employees and the employer. Quorum is 50% + 1 for both employee and management groups.
Minutes of each meeting must be recorded and available for review by the Ministry of Labour.
Library/Museum Health & Safety Inspection Form - only to be used as a supplement to the following forms
Office Inspection Form - use for routine inspections of library/museum floors
Lab Inspection Form - use for inspections of library/museum preservation labs
First Aid Qualified Staff & First Aid Kit locations (updated December 2016)