Military cartography with a specialization in WWI trench maps and aerial photography.
Responsible for the acquisition, organisation, preservation, digitization and dissemination of geographic information housed in the University Library's, Lloyd Reeds Map Collection.
- Vimy Ridge: How a Cape Breton farmer led the battle for Hill 145. CBC Radio, 2017.
- Drawn to Victory: The revolution of mapping in the First World War, narrated by Dan Aykroyd. The Royal Canadian Geographical Society, Canadian Geographic Magazine, Canadian Heritage, CPAC, 2015.
- Geospatial Literacy Instruction in a Blended Learning Environment. ACMLA Bulletin #144, July 2013.
- Mashups, Wikis, and Digitization: Integration, Collaboration, and Access Through Emerging Technologies. ACMLA Bulletin #128, June 2007.
- Wading Through the Mud: Creating a Finding Aid for WWI Trench Maps. ACMLA Bulletin #117, 2003.
- Vimy Ridge: Building 'Deep' Maps with Artefacts of the Great War. CARTO 2017, Simon Fraser U.
- Digitally Mapping the First World War. Canadian Military History Colloquium, Wilfrid Laurier U, 2017.
- Back to the Front 100 Years Later: Retracing the steps of A.R. Thompson using WWI trench maps. Ruthven Park National Historic Site, 2016.
- Lens over Lens: The development & use of aerial photography in WWI. National Gallery of Canada, 2014.
- Bleeding into the Margins: The evolution of cartography in WWI. Lager Lecture Series, McMaster U, 2014.
- Anthropology 4EE3: Archaeologies of the Present
- Art 3PD3: New Directions in Painting and Drawing
- Arts & Science 3BB3: Technology and Society II
- Biology 3EI3: Environmental Indicators
- Biology 4YY3: Ecology & Management of Coastal Waters
- Civ Tech 3CS3: Contaminated Site Management
- Earth Science S2AA3: Earth Explorers
- Environmental Science 1G03: Earth and the Environment
- Environmental Science 4EA3: Environmental Assessments
- Geography 1HA3: Human Geographies, Society & Culture
- Geography 1HB3: Human Geographies, City & Economy
- Geography 2RM3: Mapping Our World
- Geography 3GI3: Advanced Raster GIS
- History 2A03/Peace Studies 2F03: Modern Middle Eastern Studies
- History 2HI3: Historical Inquiry
- History 4CE3: Early Canadian History
- Human 2DH3: Introduction to the Digital Humanities
- ACMLA (Association of Canadian Map Libraries and Archives)
- Charles Close Society for the Study of Ordnance Survey Maps (U.K.)
- Defence Surveyors' Association (U.K.)
- Currently working with staff of McMaster’s Museum of Art on an exhibit of the Napoleonic era cartography of the Honourable Robert Clifford, planned for May-September 2018.
- Digitization Projects: WWI (1,500 maps + 600 aerial photos), WWII (3,000 maps), Korean War (200 maps)
- CANADIGM Souterraine Project. Canadian Corps Tunnel Art, Vimy Centre Exhibit, France, 2017.
- 'Ace Academy' free, educational app. Canadian Aviation and Space Museum, 2016.
- Giant Floor Map of Vimy Ridge. Canadian Geographic Magazine, educational branch, 2015-2016.
- 'Walking the Western Front.' Toronto Star daily column by Katie Daubs and Richard Lautens, April-May 2014.
- Chasseaud Acquisition. 900 WWI trench maps from the private collection of the world's leading expert on Great War cartography, 2009.
- Vimy Ridge Heritage Minute. Historica Canada, 2005.
McMaster University President's Award for Outstanding Service, 2014