Material not held in the collections of McMaster University Libraries that is needed for study or research by faculty, students, and staff may be requested at no charge through Interlibrary Loan (ILL) via the RACER service.
Please check our library catalogue FIRST to make sure we do not own the material you are looking for.
Important Information for All Users:
- Articles and books can take from 2-5 days or longer to arrive depending on the availability of the item.
- Rush service is available for an additional $30 per item. Contact the Interlibrary Loan Department to request rush service.
- To expedite your request, please include the ISSN/ISBN in the required field.
- Submit your requests to the library serving the discipline related to your needs.
- Effective February 2013: all articles will now be delivered electronically via email. Instructions for retrieving the article will be in the email you receive.
Please note: The Library does not purchase duplicate copies of books on the basis of format. For purposes of determining whether a book is present in the Library’s collection, a print copy and an e-book copy are considered to be equivalent.
- The following categories of materials may not be borrowed through Interlibrary Loan
- Visual Materials (including VHS, DVD's) - Faculty may borrow films through Interfilm
- When searching RACER, do not use the back button on your browser.
- External Borrowers and Alumni do not have access to Interlibrary Loans privileges at McMaster. Please use the services provided at your local public library.
Need some help?
Check out more information on RACER and the services provided through it
Frequently Asked Questions - (RACER support)
Using Racer (LibGuide)
Where does Inter-Library Loan Serve?
Check out this interactive map to see all of the great libraries around the world that use Inter-Library Loan.