Upon provision of adequate identification, use of the collections is open to all students, scholars and other interested persons, local and visiting. (Click on link for accommodation information) Materials housed in the Division of Archives and Research Collections do not circulate. They may be used only within the Division under the supervision of the staff.
Reproduction of Materials Policy
Reproduction of items is possible in most cases for personal research purposes. On occasion, duplication cannot be permitted because of copyright restrictions, possible damage to the book or archival material, or other reasons. Each request will be decided individually, taking into account the nature of the item and its condition, the purpose for which the copy is required, the existence of surrogate copies elsewhere, and the method of reproduction to be used, etc.
For further details, including permission to publish copies, please click on the "Use, Permission Forms" link in the top right corner of this page, and see the documents under William Ready Division of Archives and Research Collections.
Use of Personal Digital Cameras
Use of personal digital cameras to make copies is permitted in most cases. Please note, however, that the use of personal scanners is prohibited.
Photocopies may be ordered as follows:
- Regular photocopies (up to 11x17) - $0.30 per page
- Colour (up to 11x17) - $1.00 per page
- Additional charge for orders of 50 or more: $11.00 per hour copying time; minimum total charge of $25.00
- No charge for orders totaling less than $5.00. In some cases, these copies may be sent by e-mail as low-resolution pdfs. We reserve the right to limit the number of 'no charge' orders a researcher may receive.
- Shipping charges apply.
- 1 to 10 copies - immediately, depending on staff availability.
- 11 to 50 copies - approximately 1-2 weeks, depending on staff availability.
- 50+ copies - to be evaluated on a case by case basis.
- For original items up to 11x17 - $3.50 per image (300 dpi); minimum charge of $15.00.
- Oversize - $45.00/hour (150 dpi)
- Shipping charges - for items that cannot be sent by e-mail: $3.50 for CD plus shipping costs.
- 1 to 5 scans - approximately 1 week, depending on staff availability.
- 6 to 10 scans - approximately 2 weeks, depending on staff availability.
- 11 or more scans - to be evaluated on a case by case basis.
See ‘Scanning’ above.
Special Media: slides, audio tapes, videos, etc.
Copying of special media is normally provided by off-campus service providers. Researchers are required to cover all costs of reproduction, including delivery charges to and from the service providers. Prices and turnaround times can be provided on a case by case basis.
Postage/Courier Charges and Taxes
Charges will be levied on a cost-recovery basis for all orders either mailed or sent by courier to researchers. Orders will be subject to applicable taxes.
- Mail/courier/e-mail: by cheque or credit card (Visa, Master Card, American Express); Payment must be received before copies are sent. Credit card number must be provided by phone at (905) 525-9140 x22789 or by fax at (905) 522-0691; when faxing, please address to "Research Collections"
- In person: by credit card (Visa, Master Card, American Express), debit card or cheque; cash is not accepted.