St. Peter's Anglican Church (Barton, Ont. : Hamilton, Ont.) fonds. -- 1852-1906. -- 3 cm of textual records.
St. Peter's Church opened on 13 June 1852. It was served by the same rector as St. Paul's Church in Glanford, Ont. St. Peter's was closed in 1879 and reopened in 1898. St. Peter's was permanently closed in 1908. It was succeeded by Holy Trinity Church, Barton, Ont. Barton, Ont. is now part of Hamilton, Ont.
The fonds consists of one parish register containing minutes of Vestry meetings. It has been microfilmed on 1 reel, numbered 132. For statistical records researchers are referred to the following fonds: St. Paul's Church (Glanford, Ont.); St. George's Church (Hannon, Ont.); and Holy Trinity Church (Hamilton, Ont.).
Title based on content of fonds.
Fonds on deposit. Ownership of the fonds resides with St. Peter's.
Finding aid available in hard copy and electronically.
Researchers are requested to use the microfilm. They must also sign an agreement of use form.
Further accruals are not expected
St. Peter's Church, Barton, was opened June 13, 1852. It was subsequently served by the same rector as St. Paul's Church, Glanford. Population growth in the community prompted the building of St. George's Hannon (also called St. George's Rymal and St. George's East Barton) on Rymal Road by members of St. Peter's congregation in 1864. In 1875 the idea of moving St. Peter's to a more convenient site closer to the city was first discussed at a Vestry meeting and, three years late, the new Church, Holy Trinity, Barton (later to be called Holy Trinity, Hamilton) was opened. St. Peter's, Barton, St. Paul's, Glanford and Holy Trinity were all served by one rector during this period. St. Peter's was temporarily closed in 1879 but was reopened in 1898. However, by 1908 St. Peter's was "definitely and permanently closed except as a mortuary Church".
The researcher is directed to the records of St. Paul's, Glanford, St. George's, Hannon and Holy Trinity, Hamilton.
For the period of 1835-1838, when Barton was served by the Rev. J.G. Geddes from Hamilton's Christ Church Cathedral, see the service-banns register, Christ Church, envelope 34, and Parish Register B.
Parish Register A
Minutes of Vestry