McMaster University Library’s Strategic Plan, covering the years 2015 to 2020, sets the Library on an ambitious course in pursuit of its new vision to becoming a true catalyst of intellectual activity for the University and its community.
Key Highlights from the Plan:
- Enhanced focus on building and supporting unique collections
- A new focus on community engagement
The Balanced Scorecard Framework:
- McMaster University Library has been using the Balanced Scorecard as s strategic management and performance tool for approximately 6 years.
- The Scorecard framework encourages us to
- Set our objectives based on four broad perspectives (the user, staff learning and growth, community engagement and financial health)
- Identify one or more measures for each objective
- Set targets for each measure
- Score ourselves on our performance in meeting those targets
- Communicate results to our staff, the user community and other interested individuals/groups.
- Includes measures, each linked to one or more objectives in the Strategic Plan
- For each measure, we provide the formula, target, current score, periodicity and staff owner.
- A link is provided to the data and analysis if available.
- For each measure, we score ourselves as green (meeting target), yellow (approaching target, but not there yet) or red (not meeting target).
- Links are provided to the strategic initiatives associated with each measure.
Strategic Initiatives: The Plan at Work
- Each year, we review and update the measures, targets and strategic initiatives for the coming year.
- The actual strategic initiatives are chosen because they reflect a significant and positive change in direction or focus, are directly linked to improving our results in one or more strategic measures, and require regular review and discussion by the Library’s senior leadership group.